PCT to Sedum Ridge Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
JZwing

PCT to Sedum Ridge Trail

Post by JZwing » May 13th, 2021, 8:54 am

Yesterday we hiked up the PCT from the Snag Creek TH and the descended on the Sedum Ridge Trail. I know this sounds wimpy to some of you, but we decided to do this as a shuttle hike to avoid the slog on the road.

I did the whole Sedum-Mowich-PCT-Road loop 2 years ago with a group. There have been some changes at the bottom of the Sedum Trail. The trail now bypasses the collapsed bridges. It's easier to find from the road, just a ways down from the pullout and marked with a blue ribbon. The old DNR sign appears to have been removed. I looked for it - maybe it is overgrown but I think I would have seen it. It was an interesting artifact and part of Sedum's charm. There was one little area of blow-down, nicely cleaned up. Otherwise the trail is in good shape, and I hope people continue to put some boots on it.

Blooms: Mahonia, trillium, 1 Pacific dogwood, Hooker's fairybell, wood violets, vanilla leaf and a nice little patch of calypsos right on the Sedum Ridge trail. And lots of anemones in every shade from white to deep purple.
Attachments
Fairybell.JPG
Fairybell.JPG (53.35 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Anemone.JPG
Anemone.JPG (48.02 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
waterfall.JPG
waterfall.JPG (62.67 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Rock wall.JPG
Rock wall.JPG (66.31 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Spring leaves.JPG
Spring leaves.JPG (70.22 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Bridge.JPG
Bridge.JPG (62.74 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Vanilla Leaf.JPG
Vanilla Leaf.JPG (59.18 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
Calypso.jpg
Calypso.jpg (38.68 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
PCTSedum.jpg
PCTSedum.jpg (31.42 KiB) Viewed 1458 times

cfm

Re: PCT to Sedum Ridge Trail

Post by cfm » May 16th, 2021, 4:58 am

I enjoyed the same hike myself this week, opposite direction. Love that section of the PCT that goes through the massive alder stands along the creek, and of course the decaying mossy bridges on the SR trail. Left my bike at the PCT junction and used that for my shuttle-fun downhill!

I did see this old DNR sign on the Sedum Ridge trail. It probably fell over, so someone leaned it against a tree.
old sign.jpg
Also visited this cool swath of eroded hillside that I call "The Spot", found it on Google Earth a few years ago, then spied it from Greenleaf area. It's not scree or cliff-just slumping buckled hillside. Hard to photograph it without dying. Someday will return to see what's at the bottom of the formation.
Spot2.jpg

JZwing

Re: PCT to Sedum Ridge Trail

Post by JZwing » May 18th, 2021, 11:50 am

I am glad to hear the sign is still there. I'll be more alert next time. A bike shuttle is a good idea.