Mowich Butte via Sunset Hemlock Rd

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Mowich Butte via Sunset Hemlock Rd

Post by Chip Down » May 6th, 2021, 7:01 pm

Starting at the interesting and historical Wind River Work Center, I followed Sunset Hemlock Rd past Mowich Butte, to the mapped but unfound Mowich Camp, to the unfound Snag Creek Trail.

Sunset Hemlock Rd started out ugly, offering no enticement at all. But immediately, it transformed to a beautiful road, overgrown enough to be charming, but still wide and easy to walk. The slope is gentle, but enough for a workout.

At 2400', about 2.5 miles in, the road narrows, gets brushy, a bit rugged underfoot, but eventually it clears up again, so persistence is rewarded.

At 4 miles I reached the top end of Stevenson Ridge Trail, and as I continued up I passed Sedum Point to my left. I was here a couple weeks ago on a short loop, so this 1/4 mile was familiar, except this time it was bare.

Continuing, I passed the PCT crossing, then the top end of Sedum Ridge Trail (easy to miss), then the road to Mowich Butte, then Mowich Camp (somewhere under all that snow), and finished at the top end of Snag Creek Trail (somewhere under all that snow). Mowich Camp and Snag Creek Trail are on a plateau, which in places resembled Benson, but it was open and sunny in other spots.

On the return, I took the side trip to Mowich Butte. Booo! Overgrown, viewless (just some gaps through trees).

Best part of the day, by a considerable margin, was Peak 3260. I spotted it from Sedum Point a couple weeks ago, and wanted to visit it someday. Sadly, the snow was all gone, but that made travel easier than it would have been in April. Best access is via PCT where it passes to the south. There are two good places to depart the trail, and really obvious, so no point in me detailing them.

I hesitated to leave home 5/5, as it was expected to be hot (82) but I wore my jacket nearly all day, so I'm glad I took a chance. PM was overcast and breezy, which was a relief.

This was enough fun that I'm actually considering going back when the snow is gone, so I can go farther, maybe even all the way to Lookout Mountain. I might take a saw. A few spots need some work.
Attachments
0.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
Winners never quit, and quitters never win.
3.jpg
4.jpg
At PCT crossing.
5.jpg
Why?
6.jpg
Grassy ramp to Peak 3260
7.jpg
Peak 3260
8.jpg
Peak 3260. On next ridge, the bare spot at the right is Sedum Point. I wonder about the bare spot above the dead tree. Looks worthwhile.
9.jpg
Celebrating Cinco de Mayo, and one year of funemployment.
Last edited by Chip Down on June 2nd, 2021, 10:26 am, edited 2 times in total.

RobinB

Re: Mowich Butte via Sunset Hemlock Rd

Post by RobinB » May 6th, 2021, 9:22 pm

This is great!

As I gather you know, I'm heading out that way in a bit, though I'll be coming up the PCT and turning left (west) toward Lookout and Silver Star. Is Peak 3260 nice enough that I should make the (mile?) detour?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 6th, 2021, 9:38 pm

RobinB wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 9:22 pm
Is Peak 3260 nice enough that I should make the (mile?) detour?
Probably not. It's absolutely a must-do for anybody passing by, but I question whether it would be worth a side trip.

dmthomas49

Post by dmthomas49 » May 7th, 2021, 6:32 am

Peak 3260 has been our destination on a number of hikes starting at Trout Creek crossing of the PCT. it is a great break point with a nice view. Round trip is about 10 miles...
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » May 21st, 2021, 9:26 am

Chip Down wrote:
May 6th, 2021, 7:01 pm
5.jpg
Why?
After the fire the Forest Service allowed shepherds to graze their sheep up there. The barbed wire is probably a remnant of that activity.

From my research it sounds like those ridges were absolutely crawling with people from the 1930s into the 50s between the CCC, the fire lookouts, the ranger stations, the salvage loggers and the shepherds.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » May 21st, 2021, 10:52 am

jvangeld wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 9:26 am
After the fire the Forest Service allowed shepherds to graze their sheep up there. The barbed wire is probably a remnant of that activity.
I was actually wondering about the board wired to the stump. Possibly a gate anchor.
jvangeld wrote:
May 21st, 2021, 9:26 am
From my research it sounds like those ridges were absolutely crawling with people from the 1930s into the 50s between the CCC, the fire lookouts, the ranger stations, the salvage loggers and the shepherds.
Funny, I saw zero people, and even the footprints in the snow faded out as my predecessors gradually gave up and turned back.