Mount Margaret Loop?

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
keithcomess

Mount Margaret Loop?

Post by keithcomess » April 19th, 2021, 12:19 pm

Anybody traveled the Mount Margaret Loop recently? If so, any news on trail conditions and water availability at Snow Lake, Shovel Lake, Panhandle Lake and Obscurity Lake? I'm also interested in news about water along the Boundary Trail (Bear Camp, Margaret Camp and Dome Camp). At Ridge Camp (Coldwater Trail)?

Thanks in advance!
Keith

mdrider

Re: Mount Margaret Loop?

Post by mdrider » April 19th, 2021, 1:53 pm

I haven't been out there since last September but as of a week or so ago it looks to still be completely covered in snow.

As per: https://rudplatt.users.earthengine.app/ ... wevaluator

Red indicates snow coverage.
mt. margaret.PNG

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » April 19th, 2021, 3:14 pm

I'm scouting it out for a summertime trip. I recall that there was a big washout on the trail a couple of years ago. Maybe I'll call the ranger station and find out if that was ever repaired. Thanks for the reply!

drm

Post by drm » April 20th, 2021, 6:29 am

I hope you already have your permit. MMB permits are almost as tough to get as Wonderland permits these days.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » April 20th, 2021, 9:58 am

I don't and I didn't know that. A couple of years ago, they were quite easy to secure. I'll check on the status of campsites this week and many thanks for the warning!

Do you have any information on the trail washout between Norway Pass and Bear Pass? I recall that it's close to being in
dangerous condition, particularly at the west end. Last time I called the ranger district, the person I was directed to as an authority on trail conditions had "no idea" whether or not it was fixed.

Walkin' Fool

Post by Walkin' Fool » April 20th, 2021, 10:16 am

As of October last year, that section you're talking about right past Norway Pass is as it has been for years, so I think it's safe to say it still is there. Obviously people's comfort level varies, but I've hiked that many times, sometimes with an overly large and heavy backpack, and have never thought twice about it. I've also never seen anyone else get turned back by it, including many mt bikers. It's just a few steps, with solid ledges for your feet, and not very consequential runout. So I wouldn't let that deter you. The snow, on the other hand, would make for an....interesting trip this early in the year.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » April 20th, 2021, 11:34 am

Thanks for that info! I'm hoping to go in the summer, so snow won't be an issue. Maybe obtaining permits though will be a problem...

drm

Post by drm » April 20th, 2021, 11:43 am

Well, a friend recently told me that there were no permits available before October, though I haven't checked myself.

I did it a decade ago (in September rain) back when you still faxed your permit request to the rangers, and wanted to do it again but gave up because I don't plan backpacks that far in advance, ever really.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » April 20th, 2021, 2:53 pm

Confirmed: no permits from now through October per the online reservation site :(

Charley

Post by Charley » April 20th, 2021, 8:35 pm

keithcomess wrote:
April 20th, 2021, 2:53 pm
Confirmed: no permits from now through October per the online reservation site :(
UGH.

I hiked the Margaret/Johnston/Norway loop during the 2009 Federal government shutdown, just because the media had reported that Parks and Forests were open, but not really operating normally. I might have to wait for another shutdown to get to camp around Mt Margaret, again!
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.