Mount Margaret Loop?

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
flywell

Re: Mount Margaret Loop?

Post by flywell » May 4th, 2021, 9:54 am

EmilyK wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:49 pm
For what it’s worth, here are some photos from last August/Sept 2020 of the washout area I think you are referring to... I went solo in August and was able to get across. Went again in September with my partner and it was definitely a little worse, so glad I had the extra hand ha. Can’t imagine it’s not going to be even worse after winter unless it’s been repaired!
I hiked it Aug 9/2020, and the washout was sketchy but doable. But - the soil consistency told me it would be deteriorating even more through the winter and spring rains this year. Your third photo shows a substantial change for the worse. I attached my shot from last August for comparison. I sure hope either the Monument or Forest Service fixes or re-routes that portion of trail.
IMG_1420.JPG

drm

Post by drm » May 4th, 2021, 12:10 pm

Since this section is really kind of a short-cut over the ridge and not a part of the main loop, I doubt putting in a reroute is going to be a high priority for the Monument, though you could call and ask if it's on their list. If you are a WTA member, you could ask the WTA to advocate for it. Because they have the resources to do a lot of the reroute work, their advocacy can really make the difference.

keithcomess

Post by keithcomess » May 4th, 2021, 6:12 pm

That segment - if it's the one I've seen in photos here - is on the main loop trail per the Green Trails map on the "Lakes" version of the hike. As I recall (though I don't have the map immediately handy) it's labeled. I also asked a ranger about it a couple of weeks ago and I was told it had not been repaired and there were no plans to do so. The route is sketched out here:
https://www.gaiagps.com/hike/254536/mou ... trail-211/

EmilyK

Post by EmilyK » May 8th, 2021, 9:30 pm

flywell wrote:
May 4th, 2021, 9:54 am
EmilyK wrote:
April 21st, 2021, 8:49 pm
For what it’s worth, here are some photos from last August/Sept 2020 of the washout area I think you are referring to... I went solo in August and was able to get across. Went again in September with my partner and it was definitely a little worse, so glad I had the extra hand ha. Can’t imagine it’s not going to be even worse after winter unless it’s been repaired!
I hiked it Aug 9/2020, and the washout was sketchy but doable. But - the soil consistency told me it would be deteriorating even more through the winter and spring rains this year. Your third photo shows a substantial change for the worse. I attached my shot from last August for comparison. I sure hope either the Monument or Forest Service fixes or re-routes that portion of trail.IMG_1420.JPG
Oh just missed you, my first photo was from August 10 haha.. and my other two were from September 10th. I actually have permits to camp for August of this year as well so I hope so as well. :? I wonder if it goes unaddressed a boot path may appear down the hill and back up just on the other side. It seemed steep but doable, and better than a tumble down that crumbly mess with a big backpack.