opening day: Bells Mountain and baseball [day 2 added 4/5]

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

opening day: Bells Mountain and baseball [day 2 added 4/5]

Post by Chip Down » April 1st, 2021, 6:02 pm

First!

Bells Mountain trail opened today, after some view-enhancement activities (trees cut down to improve the scenery). Also, opening day for MLB.

I started as it was just getting light enough that I didn't need a headlamp. I had heard the bottom of Bells is steep, but yikes, I wasn't expecting that. It was a grind.
The trail undulates a lot, so it's good for people who don't like a hike that's uphill half the day, and then downhill for half the day.

From various sources (maps, signs, reports) I expected Bells Mtn Trail to meet Tarbell Trail, and/or share designation to the Yacolt Burn TH. But nope, google is correct, Bells and Tarbell are distinct.

I wish I'd seen this trail pre-harvest, for comparison. Not a big deal though.

There are lots of logging roads up there, some new and some mossy. I'll probably go back and poke around a bit.

Saw more snakes today than I normally would in a month.
Attachments
1.jpg
What?! Closed M-F?! So I could have done this any weekend in the last couple months.
2.jpg
I nearly wet myself when I saw the danger tape, but then realized it was because of the logging activity.
3.jpg
The new improved Bells Mtn Trail.
4.jpg
That puddle is due to a little spring. There were a few in the new clearcut.
5.jpg
Freshest chainsaw graffiti I've seen.
6.jpg
They left a few standing (in a previous clearcut).
7.jpg
Strike two! (I don't even know what that means, it's just what came to mind when I noticed two out of three were open).
Last edited by Chip Down on April 5th, 2021, 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chip Down

Re: opening day: Bells Mountain and baseball

Post by Chip Down » April 5th, 2021, 7:53 pm

Chip Down wrote:
April 1st, 2021, 6:02 pm
There are lots of logging roads up there, some new and some mossy. I'll probably go back and poke around a bit.
Returned today and explored a labyrinth of trails and roads not on google maps. Generally fun, but some routes were a waste of time.

Surprised to run into a microwave tower on a road that isn't even mapped by google. [Oh, is that Bells Mountain summit? It's the highest point in vicinity of Bells Mountain Trail.]

Chilly and breezy all day; I was slightly underdressed.
Attachments
20210405_164903.jpg
I think that says "silver". Pretty sloppy.
20210405_140145.jpg
20210405_115312.jpg
I almost missed this. From most angles, kinda blends in with all the other debris.
20210405_075345.jpg
Unexpected.