Lewis River Trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Lewis River Trail

Post by drm » March 28th, 2021, 9:46 am

I usually do the LRT in the spring, but never this early before. I went last Friday/Saturday and camped about 7.5 miles in from the Curly Creek trailhead. I usually wait for a warmer spell. But there are so few backpackable trails melted out yet. I'm kind of burned out on the Deschutes from too many visits and I thought Herman Ck would just be swamped. The Lewis River area was chilly, the sun didn't show itself until half way out on day 2. There were just a couple tiny patches of snow as far as I went.

More pictures than typical for me here. That's because I got a new phone, an LG K92 G5. It's considered a mid-priced phone. So I wanted to try it out more.

I'm not sure if the road is open to Lower Falls yet. I drove part of it just to see but got to that two track-in-the-snow condition, where potentially you have to back out a long way, and wasn't in the mood for that. And who knows what condition the Crab Creek slide is in. It probably needs work after the winter.
lr-3-21_01.jpg
3 feet of snow at Old Man Pass, but the road is fine
lr-3-21_02.jpg
Same along the road after the pass
lr-3-21_03.jpg
Curly Creek Falls is truly unique, with it's double rock bridge
lr-3-21_04.jpg
Another falls just down the trail from Curly, not sure of it's name
lr-3-21_05.jpg
A calm part of the Lewis River. Water levels will get higher when we get a warm spell
lr-3-21_06.jpg
The newest generation of the Bolt Shelter
lr-3-21_07.jpg
What we go to the Lewis River for
lr-3-21_08.jpg
And more of it
lr-3-21_09.jpg
Sometimes they don't cut it all out
lr-3-21_11.jpg
This bridge used to be exciting, looking over the edge of a falls. But this is a mtn biking trail too, so probably better to go around. This bridge was not old either, built less than a decade ago.
lr-3-21_12.jpg
Chilly camp, barely got over 40
lr-3-21_13.jpg
Looking down from camp view point
Attachments
lr-3-21_10.jpg

AlpenGlowHiker

Re: Lewis River Trail

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » March 29th, 2021, 6:38 am

This is timely, thank you! Heading out there at the end of April.

If you went downstream from Curly Cr Falls, then it is probably Miller Cr Falls.