"Brush Creek Trail"

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

"Brush Creek Trail"

Post by Chip Down » March 14th, 2021, 10:56 pm

Scouring Google Maps for something new to me, I spotted Brush Creek Trail, which also showed a rd number, so I wasn't sure what to expect.

Map below shows where I went: parked at gate and followed road to Triangle Pass, where I discovered an unmapped trail. Followed it, assuming it would lead to a nearby peak, but nope, it bypassed the high point. Checked my phone to see where it might go. Only sensible possibility was Grassy Knoll. I didn't realize I was so close to GK. I didn't continue, as I knew from the GK trailhead I would be tempted to continue. I can be a bit obsessive. So I saved myself the anguish and turned back.

I explored every nook and cranny on the way down. I was particularly interested in seeing if I could drop to the powerline that runs just north of Augspurger. Yep, it went really well.

Back home, I was curious to see what the standard route is to Grassy Knoll TH. Nothing on the map made sense, so I looked up our FG page. Well, as you may suspect, I discovered my route (the road part of it anyway) is the standard route, which means the main road I followed most of the day is one I've driven at least twice, many many years ago. That's one of the nice things about getting old, eventually everything is new again. :D
Attachments
1.JPG
2.jpg
Not far past the gate, I saw what looked like barriers from a distance, but nope, all natural.
3.jpg
Another slide. This one left a super-clean void, with a rocky overhang above it.
4.jpg
Lots of these mossy oak zones to open up some scenery.
5.jpg
On GE, this huge open area was dirt brown, but now it's green, big enough and almost flat enough to serve as a football field. My guess is it was used to stage equipment and materials related to the towers.
6.jpg
I don't mind a little snow, but it was funny how it was almost entirely on the road.
7.jpg
I think that must be Grassy Knoll.
8.jpg

Webfoot

Re: "Brush Creek Trail"

Post by Webfoot » March 17th, 2021, 10:20 am

Sorry, but I have to ask: any ticks?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 19th, 2021, 7:06 pm

Nope, no ticks. The grassy powerline corridor made me a little nervous, as that would have been my best opportunity to see some.

In my experience, the tick population exploded maybe about 2016ish, and has gradually tapered off. I can't remember the last time I saw one. (yeah, I know, I probably just jinxed myself)

wnshall

Post by wnshall » March 20th, 2021, 2:24 pm

From your description, it sounds like the driving directions in the Field Guide are no longer valid? You can't drive on FR6808 all the way to the TH anymore? The Field Guide gives alternate directions using FR68 from the East. Could you also use FR68 from the West (via FR65 and Wind River Rd.)?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 21st, 2021, 1:00 pm

Hi wnshall. I can't answer your questions authoritatively, but I will say that I strongly suspect the gate I encountered on 6808 was seasonal. And I suspect the rockfall I encountered will be cleared. When things melt out a bit, I plan a return to Grassy Knoll, but I'll take my bike in case the road is still gated. And/or I might try the western alternate you mentioned.

gkallio

Post by gkallio » September 22nd, 2021, 11:39 am

Not to be confused with the Brush Creek Trail in the Deschutes Nat'l Forest, Oregon! Not sure where this BCT is located - Washington?