Indian Point Loop 2021/03/06

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rubiks

Indian Point Loop 2021/03/06

Post by rubiks » March 7th, 2021, 2:25 pm

Photo of the Day:
DSC09698.JPG
Herman Creek drainage from Peak 3152

I've been trying to get out to the Herman Creek area, and finally did the Indian Point loop. A buddy and I gambled on the weather for Saturday, hoping for dry weather and possibly even some sun. We ended up with clouds, fog, rain, snow, and sun as the day progressed, in that order.

We got to the trailhead (frontage road, TH parking is closed) about 7:45am, and there was only one other car already there. We did the loop clockwise, taking Gorton Creek trail up to Indian Point. Snow patches on the Gorton Creek Trail started around 1800', about the same time we climbed up into the clouds. Snow was persistent above ~2400', but well packed down on the trail. Indian Point was completely socked in but we dipped down to it anyways.
DSC09596.JPG
Indian Point and the majestic Columbia River Gorge

The Ridge connector to Nick Eaton had the most snow we encountered all day. There were enough tracks to follow that we were fine in just boots, although we did some occasional post-holing. It snowed on us for maybe 10 minutes in this stretch, and immediately after that the fog started the lighten enough to catch glimpses of blue sky. Passing through here felt surreal, the landscape was completely devoid of color with only white snow and blackened trees.
DSC09651.JPG
Ridge Connector, looking back towards Indian Point

Nick Eaton at the junction had a fresh dusting of snow, and some patches of snow up to Peak 3152. We had the place to ourselves, and the clouds were putting on a show as they moved rapidly across the Herman Creek drainage spread out below. We ate some lunch and hung around for 45 minutes watching the show. Here is the companion shot to the Photo of the Day.
DSC09675.JPG
Fog from Peak 3152

After lunch we did a bit of scouting further south on Nick Eaton. There were some very faint tracks to follow, but nothing recent or enough to pack down the snow. We went about a half mile along Nick Eaton before the snow got deeper than we wanted to deal with and we turned around. I had wanted to find the Deadwood trail but we weren't able to spot it. On our way back down Nick Eaton the dusting of snow around the Ridge cutoff trail junction was already melted off, but there were still a few more persistent patches down to about 2600'. Nick Eaton the rest of the way down was uneventful, and descending under clear blue skies was a pleasant change from our trip up Gorton in the fog.
DSC09733.JPG
Columbia River from the Nick Eaton trail

We saw a handful of other hikers on the way down, and there were about a dozen cars when we got back to the trailhead around 3pm.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

retired jerry

Re: Indian Point Loop 2021/03/06

Post by retired jerry » March 7th, 2021, 2:50 pm

Thanks for report

I haven't been there since before fire, must be time for a trip.

I don't mind parking at frontage road. Probably safer. With all the cars driving by a bad guy would have to be brazen to break in.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » March 7th, 2021, 5:08 pm

The "companion shot to the Photo of the Day" was my favorite :D

drm

Post by drm » March 7th, 2021, 7:09 pm

Yeah, on Nick Eaton I think the Deadwood Cutoff is almost a mile beyond the Ridge cutoff junction, which still has a good and rustic sign. I did the Ridge Cutoff loop in January before most of the snow, but I haven't been to the Deadwood Cutoff on Eaton in some time, not sure if the sign is up or not.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 7th, 2021, 7:13 pm

Thanks for the TR and the snow info! Good to know.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

rubiks

Post by rubiks » March 7th, 2021, 8:51 pm

drm wrote:
March 7th, 2021, 7:09 pm
Yeah, on Nick Eaton I think the Deadwood Cutoff is almost a mile beyond the Ridge cutoff junction, which still has a good and rustic sign. I did the Ridge Cutoff loop in January before most of the snow, but I haven't been to the Deadwood Cutoff on Eaton in some time, not sure if the sign is up or not.
Thanks for the info about the sign and distance. I think now that we just didn't go far enough...

Oh well, looks like I'll just have to go back and hike a little farther. I need to go back anyways to get the rest of the view from Indian Point
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.