Angora Peak 3-3-21

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Angora Peak 3-3-21

Post by bobcat » March 5th, 2021, 10:03 am

The weather reports went belly-up on me: predicted cloudy in Portland and sunny at the coast. The opposite was true, so the big views were hazy lower down and non-existent from the summit area. Still, a fair day and warm enough. No fellow hikers until I met a couple of parties coming in as I was descending the last section of logging road.

The shortest access point is on a gated Weyerhaeuser road near Cove Beach. Before you get to the clearcuts, there are 250 yards of fine coastal rain forest, with some impressive old cedars and spruces under the jurisdiction of Oswald West State Park. The logging road continues above the headwaters bowl of Short Sand Creek and connects with Arch Cape Mill Road, this section of the hike being on land managed by EFM (Ecotrust Forest Management), which acquired it from Stimson Lumber a few years ago. (Hikers and cyclists are permitted on both the Weyerhaeuser and EFM plots, but no camping and no campfires – obviously – are allowed.)

Weyerhaeuser gate, Short Sand Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Weyerhaeuser rules, Short Sand Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Spruce and cedar, Short Sand Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Angora peak in the mist, Short Sand Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Stumpland, Short Sand Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Junction with Arch Cape Mill Road, Angora Peak.jpg
EFM sign on gate, Arch Cape Mill Road, Angora Peak.jpg

The views open up as you ascend Arch Cape Mill Road. Castle Rock, off Arch Cape, appears and then the sweep of Cannon Beach up towards Tillamook Head. The road, now bisected at regular intervals with drainage ditches, was carved into a wonderful face of dark pillow basalt breccia. As at Saddle Mountain and nearby Onion Peak, the basalts that compose Angora Peak are part of the Columbia River Basalt Flows, which formed pillow lavas when they encountered sea water. The road turns into forest, first offering wonderful views to the ocean and to looming West Onion Peak above the Arch Cape Creek drainage.

View to Tillamook Head, Arch Cape Mill Road, Angora Peak.jpg
View to the viewpoint, Arch Cape Mill Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Along the breccia cutting, Arch Cape Mill Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Ferns, moss, sedum, Arch Cape Mill Road, Angora Peak.jpg

There’s a long traverse on the east side of the long northwest ridge to where the road becomes overgrown. Before that, you get a glimpse of one of Angora’s satellites, Little Angora. (Here’s a Summit Post article that details the three main climbing opportunities at Angora: https://www.summitpost.org/angora-peak-oregon/931152.) From the road, a trail leads up to skirt the overgrown section and arrives at a saddle. From the saddle, the path splits. Going right took me on a detour to the “hermit hut” and a socked in viewpoint. The hermit hut has suffered roof collapse - perhaps a small tree or gratuitous vandalism. (In the Summit Post thread, there’s an interesting explanation of the hermit hut’s history.)

Little Angora, Arch Cape Mill Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Trail up at end of road, Arch Cape Mill Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Hermit Hut, Angora Peak.jpg
Back of the Hermit Hut, Angora Peak.jpg
Logging cable at the Hermit Hut, Angora Peak.jpg

The trail soon reaches Arch Cape Mill Road again, but this section is long abandoned and completely fallen away in a couple of spots, with sketchy detours around the collapses. The road bed is also overgrown in places, and I spent time dismembering a couple of recently toppled alders that were impeding progress. Where Arch Cape Mill Road turns towards the Angora Pinnacle, I took a spur road left. This spur leads to a scramble trail up Angora’s summit ridge. There’s a magnificent viewpoint, from which I could admire the pea soup to the south and the looming visage of Revenge of Angora growling into the mist. For the actual summit, only a few feet higher but viewless, I ducked back into the woods and maneuvered around some massive boulders to reach the highest point at a pile of mossy rocks.

Slides on Arch Cape Mill Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Angora Pinnacle, Arch Cape Mill Road, Angora Peak.jpg
Overgrown spur, Angora Peak.jpg
Revenge of Angora from the viewpoint, Angora Peak.jpg
Looking to Revenge of Angora, Angora Peak.jpg

arieshiker

Re: Angora Peak 3-3-21

Post by arieshiker » March 8th, 2021, 7:09 am

Good to know your area weather experts are as lame as ours out east. Good you went anyway 'cause your reports are always informative beyond the sights and sounds. I keep wondering "how does he find these places?" Also thinking "sure glad he does."

cfm

Post by cfm » March 8th, 2021, 11:43 am

Love that hike once you get above the clearcuts. Been meaning to get back to that area and try for a visit to Onion Peak.
I was wondering if that one big snag is still standing in the middle of the old road. Do you recall seeing it on your route?

Bummer about the hermit hut.

Karl Helser

Post by Karl Helser » March 8th, 2021, 12:50 pm

cfm, unfortunately the old snag was pushed over the edge several years ago...now lying on its side on the dirt slope.

If anyone is interested, here's a route description of what I call the Angora Grand Tour. The “Grand Tour” will take you to most of the unique spots this area has to offer, along with the spectacular views of the Pacific coast line…on a clear day of course.
https://karl-helser.com/angora-peak-gra ... -11-11-18/

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » March 8th, 2021, 1:39 pm

does that mean some vandal pushed the snag over the cliff?

if so, that's too bad. What is wrong with people???

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 9th, 2021, 4:08 pm

Karl Helser wrote:
March 8th, 2021, 12:50 pm
here's a route description of what I call the Angora Grand Tour.
Thanks for this, Karl. I also found your Clatsop Towers explorations quite interesting. Will have to go that way some day . . .

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » March 9th, 2021, 7:49 pm

Too bad about the weather! Always a bummer when that happens.

Wow, that shelter looks a lot different now than when I visited in November 2018. The roof and walls were still intact then.

Karl Helser

Post by Karl Helser » March 10th, 2021, 8:55 am

Here's what the Hermit Hut Looked like when I happened upon it 10-years ago...

Mostly Intact...

Back of the hut...

Inside bunk and fire pit...

And shelves for knick knacks...