Trip Report for Deschutes Upper Trail with a question

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
BaileyBoy

Re: Trip Report for Deschutes Upper Trail with a question

Post by BaileyBoy » February 18th, 2021, 10:36 am

I agree with the other folks, keep posting and don't worry whether folks are reading it or not. Want times for me I'll spot a statement from a particular hike and decide I should do that hike.
Since my dog Buddy goes with me I like to hear about tics and snakes, and I believe both exist in quanatities on the Deschutes and Cottonwood trails.
Also a question, I see you're from Goldendale so if they're any decent hiking areas over in that area I'd like to hear about those - guess you post those on WTA or another website.

But thanks for the photos and dialogue.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 18th, 2021, 10:56 am

I've gotten ticks on Deschutes trail, but it was when I was wacking brush so I made pretty good contact.

On the upper trail ticks shouldn't be a problem because the trail is so wide.

Of course your dog probably doesn't stay on that wide trail :)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 18th, 2021, 1:18 pm

was the campground open?

anyone there?

RobinB

Post by RobinB » February 18th, 2021, 7:24 pm

arieshiker wrote:
February 17th, 2021, 9:05 am
Is there value in just reading about what others are doing? I’ve noticed over time that there are numerous degrees of opinion about topics from posters here, so......what’s your take on this question?
Yes! I guess my view is that no two hikes are the same - I've hiked angels rest dozens of times, and always find it interesting in different ways. I'm not sure I need to see too many more sunset pictures from the top, but I love hear about people's idiosyncratic journeys.

Charley

Post by Charley » February 18th, 2021, 7:58 pm

If it brings you joy, keep doing it.

If you're doing it because you think it's valuable to other people, or think that it brings them joy, keep doing it. Someone's getting value out of it, even if they don't post a text response.

The most "popular" threads on this forum are usually one of two varieties:
- highly controversial issues like Covid, mountain bikes, or trail use fees
- extremely detailed discussions about trail conditions, map accuracy, off-trail routes, etc.

Occasionally a trail report will "go viral" (we're going to have to change that cliche. . . how about "go exponential"?) when it ties into one of the above popular topics. But many only get a few responses. There's no "like" button, as on the portlandhikers facebook group, so it's harder to gauge interest (or is it gauging approval?).
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.

rubiks

Post by rubiks » February 18th, 2021, 10:06 pm

I read just about every trip report that gets posted. I appreciate them all, though I am also guilty of rarely commenting.

I find a lot of value reading through older trip reports linked from the Field Guide when I'm looking into a hike I haven't done before.
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 19th, 2021, 5:37 am

If I see a bunch of pictures of a hike I'm familiar with it's like I relive that.

Sometimes I'll meet up with someone in the wilderness that recognizes me and sort of apologizes for being a lurker to which I'll say "it's all good".

It's great to see people hiking around in the wilderness or even vicariously by looking at a trip report

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » February 19th, 2021, 6:53 am

retired jerry wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 1:18 pm
was the campground open?

anyone there?
Hey Jerry - loop A is open, I guess year round, but most other areas are still closed with the gate down.

You're right about ticks on the upper trail - never had any issues with that. Dogs likely wouldn't either if they were kept on leash but the tall grasses bordering the trail (road) are probably tick condos. I suspect hiking either of the two lower trails will provide access to ticks. Snakes are out there, but I've only seen one quite healthy Brown Snake near the far south day parking area and have never encountered a rattler, although a few folks have reported a non-threatening encounter on the upper trail during summer.

Hikes around Goldendale: ohh boy - not many. There's a trail system out in a few years back above the cemetery and up to the observatory area I reported on several years ago. I'll see if I can track that down. The only other options I've come across are Horsethief Butte and Crawford Oaks along with The Dalles Ranch. Not among my favorite areas due to the exposure, but all are certainly enjoyable walk-abouts most any day, with exceptional views.

I'm glad I posted the question now - I agree with the responses. It was this site that provided me with significant details and encouragement when I first moved to the area and sought new trails to explore. I know there's TR archives, but I suspect most newbies pay way more attention to the current postings and new area hikers need encouragement to join the site.

For some reason I cannot imagine a quality hiking life in this part of the northwest without this site.

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » February 19th, 2021, 7:15 am

BaileyBoy wrote:
February 18th, 2021, 10:36 am
I agree with the other folks, keep posting and don't worry whether folks are reading it or not. Want times for me I'll spot a statement from a particular hike and decide I should do that hike.
Since my dog Buddy goes with me I like to hear about tics and snakes, and I believe both exist in quanatities on the Deschutes and Cottonwood trails.
Also a question, I see you're from Goldendale so if they're any decent hiking areas over in that area I'd like to hear about those - guess you post those on WTA or another website.

But thanks for the photos and dialogue.

Thanks for the post Bailey Boy: Cottonwood Canyon has two major trails - Pinnacles and Lost Corral. I've posted who knows how many reports on both since the park opened, but I've never mentioned ticks or snakes, though they are for certain out there. Pinnacles Trail has changed recently when the park website, now on this site's Field Guide, informed us that the trail was closed at the 2.5 mile mark Feb to Sept for eagle nesting. Lost Corral is still fully open. As Retired Jerry pointed out about Deschutes Upper Trail, neither Canyon trail has too much of a tick issue for humans, but dogs can wander around off trail if not on leash and ticks likely will a problem; snakes as well but to a lessor extent. The park crews are keeping the two trails (roads) well trimmed so encroaching plants are rarely an issue. There are only a very few stretches where you're even close enough to the brush to turn a shoulder. Recently some new side trails have been carved into the high grasses on Pinnacles, and I would guess they would be tick regions. And, no, I don't post on WTA or elsewhere. Never really gave that much thought for some reason.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » February 19th, 2021, 7:26 am

sometimes I'll camp in the campground the first night, then hike up the river

Loop A is so close to the railroad, noisy. Many trains over the night and they all toot their horn. There must be an un gated crossing there somewhere. The loops further away from railroad are a little better.

I think last winter they left the gate open so I camped in the primitive loop