Wormald State Park

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Wormald State Park

Post by Chip Down » February 9th, 2021, 10:17 pm

Sometimes a guy just wants a liesurely visit to a state park. North of the Tarbell north trailhead is Wormald State Park. It's accessed via a gated road, but it's not restricted. Gate is sometimes open, sometimes locked. It's risky to drive in.

Pics tell the story:
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Vertical bar represents gate. I parked at junction to right.
20210209_115827.jpg
Clear springs gush from verdant hillsides. (disclaimer: outside park boundary)
20210209_111701.jpg
Wormald lake provides opportunities for swimming and fishing.
20210209_111154.jpg
Views of Silver Star Mtn and Sturgeon Rock.
20210209_110002.jpg
Off-leash area.
20210209_104957.jpg
The balancing log is a popular tourist destination.
20210209_102158.jpg
I tossed a plywood sheet on a stump. Presto, picnic table!
20210209_090407.jpg
End of road L-1100.
20210209_084935.jpg
Park host keeps firepits stocked.
20210209_084748.jpg
Road is challenging; bring your monster truck if you have one.

Webfoot

Re: Wormald State Park

Post by Webfoot » February 10th, 2021, 11:40 am

Why is a "State Park" accessed by a capriciously gated road? Is this land that is technically State Park but isn't intended for access? (Yet?) What is the purpose of the State acquiring land like this?

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 10th, 2021, 3:04 pm

My understanding is they decided not to develop it into a park, and the land was either transferred to another agency, or sold to private interests.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » March 14th, 2021, 3:38 pm

Webfoot wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 11:40 am
Is this land that is technically State Park but isn't intended for access? (Yet?) What is the purpose of the State acquiring land like this?
Thought I'd respond to this before it drops off the front page.

There are dozens of named "State Park" parcels around Oregon and Washington (and probably every other state) that are not listed on the state parks website and yet they actually are managed (owned) by state parks. There are various reasons for this, but the Oregon State Parks site only lists "developed" state parks, i.e. places with some kind of infrastructure (restrooms, picnic area, etc.). Perhaps the most egregious omission is the state park land south of Floras Lake which includes Blacklock Point, one of the largest state park areas but not on their website because it isn't developed. An example closer to Portland is Bonnie Lure, not an officially listed park on the website but state park land nevertheless. It comes under the jurisdiction of the ranger based at Milo McIver State Park. He told me he has to check in on it regularly, mainly to monitor illegal activity and "pick up garbage." Another example is Cougar Valley, east of Wheeler on the Nehalem River, which was purchased as part of Gov. Kulongoski's "one new state park per year" initiative. In the initial planning stages after the purchase, local residents panned the entire project (an RV campground was going to be installed and trails built) as a disruption of their reclusive lifestyles and as redundant because of the many existing state parks on the coast.

There are numerous parcels in the Willamette Valley as well. Access to some is blocked by private land. State parks has decommissioned some parks and even sold a couple. The original concept for state parks in Oregon was to have beautiful corridors and way stations along highways. With the construction of I-84 in the Gorge, some "parks" that were on the old highway and had at least drinking fountains and picnic tables are now just designations on topo maps.

As for Wormald, this Clark County regional parks plan from 2000 mentions Wormald:
Screen Shot 2021-03-14 at 6.07.20 PM.png
However, the latest Yacolt Burn State Forest map shows it as part of that entity (Washington DNR).

Later edit in response to acquisition question:

Much state park land has actually been donated. This is true of most of the Gorge state parks (and many of them are named after the donors). Some land comes to the state as part of a foreclosure or tax delinquency. Sometimes, as with Cougar Creek, the state actually purchases the land but, for one reason or another, hasn't developed it. I suspect Wormald falls into one of the first two categories, maybe immortalizing its donor?

lordgares

Post by lordgares » March 14th, 2021, 5:46 pm

State Parks in the Gorge are odd. Some of them have one developed access point and then encompass several "State Parks". Mitchell Point is a good example of that. Most people have heard of Mitchell Point but not Wygant, Seneca Fouts, and Vinzez Lausman State Parks.
“Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.”
― Terry Pratchett, Jingo

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » March 14th, 2021, 9:16 pm

Chip,

Great write up!! Very much enjoyed reading this.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » March 17th, 2021, 10:08 am

bobcat wrote:
March 14th, 2021, 3:38 pm
Webfoot wrote:
February 10th, 2021, 11:40 am
Is this land that is technically State Park but isn't intended for access? (Yet?) What is the purpose of the State acquiring land like this?
Thought I'd respond to this before it drops off the front page.
Thank you.