Hood west: part way to Top Spur, Burnt Lake, Ramona

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Hood west: part way to Top Spur, Burnt Lake, Ramona

Post by Chip Down » January 19th, 2021, 11:07 pm

I wondered if it might be possible to get up to Top Spur trailhead. I know it's impossible to drive up there in January, but it's been a crazy winter. Made it 4.7 out of 7 miles. Hit snow suddenly. Had it been fluffy virgin snow, I would have kept driving, or maybe continued w/o the car. But no, following somebody else's frozen slushy tire tracks isn't my idea of a fun time, so I retreated.

Then dropped my car at the bridge over the Sandy River, and took my bike past the gate and up to the Burnt Lake trailhead. No snow. Oh, it's only 2670'. I thought it was higher. That trail is nearly flat for quite a long stretch, so it would take a long time to get to snow. Nevermind, back down.

So, I had snow when I didn't want it, and was denied snow where I did want it. What next? Over to Ramona Falls trailhead. Interesting to see it with no cars. Well, I mean during daylight hours. Hid my bike and headed up, as close to the river as possible, which occasionally meant on the trail. Mostly, was looking for the remnants of the old seasonal bridge, which USFS stashed in the brush after they announced there would never be a bridge again. Also was looking for the old trail down to the river, with steps. This was just my excuse to go for a stroll. The bridge remnants are gone, and the old trail is almost obliterated. The Sandy is notoriously unstable, and likes to swallow things up.

Poked around Old Maid Flats a bit, including an interpretive trail to a beaver pond and fishing area. Pleasant enough way to kill an hour.

After a frosty morning, the afternoon was about as warm as you could expect in January.

I was shocked at how crowded it was. Most folks were headed to Ramona, or just wandering around Old Maid Flats. I was the first to park at the gate (because, you know, I'm Chip Down), but there were dozens of cars lining the road when I returned. I wonder what it was like on the weekend.

Chip Down

Re: Hood west: part way to Top Spur, Burnt Lake, Ramona

Post by Chip Down » January 19th, 2021, 11:11 pm

http error on pics, will try again
Attachments
5.jpg
old trail to Sandy, nearly gone
4.jpg
I think this is where most hikers are crossing Sandy
3.jpg
abominable snowmen, but no snow
2.jpg
no, Lost Creek is not fed by Reid Glacier
1.jpg
On a downed tree. I found roof on ground and put it back on.