Nick Eaton to Indian Point, 1-19-2021

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
OneSpeed

Nick Eaton to Indian Point, 1-19-2021

Post by OneSpeed » January 19th, 2021, 9:36 pm

Just a quick report to say that there was no snow anywhere on this trail today, and the tread is in excellent shape the whole way. A little minor blowdown (see photo below), and Gorton Creek trail was pretty frozen but not bad at all. Turnoff to Indian Point is a little harder than usual to spot.

Also of note, though maybe covered elsewhere: A Forest Service employee told me the road up to the trailhead will almost certainly be closed until summer 2022. They cut the trees in the former campground (they were diseased, apparently) and wanted to "give it a winter" to see how the fire-damaged area just east of there dealt with weather. Lo and behold, an unburned and healthy tree fell onto the trailhead this week, falling from the west side. So they don't see re-opening that trailhead any time soon. They also plan to rebuild the campground this summer, so they probably need the space for vehicles.

Anyway, a lovely day. Six cars parked along Forest Lane, but I didn't see anybody up there all day. Started hiking at 10.

Shot this video from Indian Point:
https://youtu.be/29GzXy3v_T0

What most of Herman Creek Trail past the power lines looks like: living trees with blackened trunks.
IMG_4844.jpeg
A little blowdown on Nick Eaton Way, most of it about this (non) difficult. I never had to climb, crawl or take off my pack.
IMG_4847.jpeg
One thing about fires, they open up views you don't normally get. This is around 1,000 feet up Nick Eaton:
IMG_4850.jpeg
The most burned spot I saw was on the south side of the meadow about 1.1 mile (and 1,300 feet, ugh) up Nick Eaton:
IMG_4854.jpeg
I do miss the beargrass that used to be so abundant up on the ridge, just before Ridge Cutoff Trail:
IMG_4863.jpeg
Lunch at "Peak 3152," accessed by a pretty poor, rocky social trail that is actually on the base GaiaGPS map but needs to be properly built. I didn't feel like coming down it, so I went cross-country down the north side to pick up the trail. Mildly sketchy, being frozen and all.
IMG_0054.jpeg
Cool shadows on the river from Indian Point.
IMG_4881.jpeg
Basically the whole Gorton Creek Trail looks like this:
IMG_4884.jpeg
It was a work trip ;-).
IMG_4871.jpeg
Last edited by OneSpeed on January 20th, 2021, 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

bushwhacker

Re: Nick Eaton to Indian Point, 1-29-2021

Post by bushwhacker » January 20th, 2021, 5:43 am

I would have to say that your time machine is in perfect working order :D .
nickeaton.png
nickeaton.png (3.31 KiB) Viewed 1486 times

OneSpeed

Re: Nick Eaton to Indian Point, 1-29-2021

Post by OneSpeed » January 20th, 2021, 9:16 am

bushwhacker wrote:
January 20th, 2021, 5:43 am
I would have to say that your time machine is in perfect working order :D .

nickeaton.png
Hey, why limit yourself to one spot on the time-space continuum? I was also at Mount Hood that day, so I'll post that report next. ;-).

And I fixed my typo, thanks.