Wilson River Traverse

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
SCtoPDX

Wilson River Traverse

Post by SCtoPDX » January 3rd, 2021, 11:37 am

Hey all,
Thought I'd post a quick trip report from doing the Wilson River Traverse on Dec 29th. Forecast looked like it was the only dry day of the week so I jumped at it.
I went E to W leaving a car at Keenig Creek TH. Started at Elk about 7:15am and finished around 3:30pm. Trail is in great shape, although the bridge across Jones Creek, just E of Tillamook Forest Center was blocked off for some reason? I ignored the closing and went for it...judge me if you care to, but the bridge is solid. Perhaps a bored structural engineer decided it couldn't hold the weight of pack of Clydesdales :)
Only saw a dozen or so hikers the whole time and everyone was practicing good social distancing measures.
Sorry for the lack of photos, I was more focused on the trail than pictures. Truth be told, there isn't much epic scenery but sublime beauty in the various river / creek / steam crossings and lush understory.

cfm

Re: Wilson River Traverse

Post by cfm » January 3rd, 2021, 12:33 pm

I visited that area recently and wondered about the Jones Creek Bridge. It looks like it's been burned, but the surrounding forest is not! The bypass is very well established with two new bridges, so I suspect the blocked off bridge will be decommisioned.

Blocked off bridge:
JonesCreek Bridge.jpg
New bridge upstream on bypass trail:
NewJones bridge.jpg

SCtoPDX

Re: Wilson River Traverse

Post by SCtoPDX » January 3rd, 2021, 6:28 pm

I had no idea it was burned...that would totally explain the closure. Hahahhahah