GoalTechHikes Eagle Creek 1/2/21 - Post Fire Opening

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
hike4beer

Re: GoalTechHikes Eagle Creek 1/2/21 - Post Fire Opening

Post by hike4beer » January 4th, 2021, 11:39 am

Great report, thanks! I do love that trail and I'm happy to see it restored (even if I will skip the crowds for quite some time).

Also, +2 for being another umbrella hiker. Love my GoLite chrome umbrella and it's one of my 10 essentials on every hike. It's the only 100% waterproof/breathable piece of gear I have ever owned.

drm

Post by drm » January 4th, 2021, 4:17 pm

I'm surprised you got that far without any snow. I know the general snow level is above 3000 feet, but in deep canyons, it usually collects much lower down, where it is blown and cold air collects. I suppose the relatively warm rain has melted it to a much higher altitude.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » January 5th, 2021, 6:48 am

mjirving wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 7:56 pm
I think this is a new bridge over Tish Creek...fact check me on both of those.
New, yes, but it was installed before the fire. That bridge was helicoptered in on February 28, 2017, just six months before the fire, and it managed to survive.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » January 5th, 2021, 8:21 am

justpeachy wrote:
January 5th, 2021, 6:48 am
mjirving wrote:
January 2nd, 2021, 7:56 pm
I think this is a new bridge over Tish Creek...fact check me on both of those.
New, yes, but it was installed before the fire. That bridge was helicoptered in on February 28, 2017, just six months before the fire, and it managed to survive.
Yep, definitely the same bridge and no worse for the experience. The beauty of modern composites. As I commented to another poster right after the fire who opined that it would be gone: "We shall see". Here's a pic I took a few days after it was installed:

DN
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

querulous

Post by querulous » January 5th, 2021, 11:07 am

Informative trip report, thanks. It strikes me as significant that no gullies have run, no random landslides are apparent, after all the rain we've been having. That's encouraging. They may have gotten it to a tolerable level of stability.

Google Earth suggests that tree mortality was much higher on ridgelines and south/west-facing slopes away from Eagle Creek. I speculate that ribbon of valley-bottom survivors, in addition to preserving esthetics, has helped with stability. Contrast that with Oneonta Creek, where the lower mile or so of the inner gorge (the steepest parts) got really cooked.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » January 5th, 2021, 2:38 pm

hike4beer wrote:
January 4th, 2021, 11:39 am
Also, +2 for being another umbrella hiker. Love my GoLite chrome umbrella and it's one of my 10 essentials on every hike. It's the only 100% waterproof/breathable piece of gear I have ever owned.
I'd like to see somebody market a goretex umbrella, partly as a joke, partly as commentary on how Gore has managed to dupe millions of consumers.

Oh, and yeah, I like umbrellas too, especially if it's raining hard on a windless day, when there's not a lot of brush that has to be squeezed through. Very few days meet those criteria, but under ideal conditions, umbrellas are fantastic.

Regarding drm's comment on snow: I've had some surprises this year. Maybe it's been a weird winter, or maybe it's just the normal tendency for people to always think what they're seeing is unusual. I wish there was more activity in the snow level thread.

Regarding that bridge: I was sure I had seen reports that the new bridge had been damaged. Hmm. I suppose I just assumed it would be, or maybe read a comment from somebody who assumed it would be.

Chazz

Post by Chazz » January 5th, 2021, 2:56 pm

Any thoughts on an Eagle Creek loop via 440 -> 434 (Eagle-Benson) -> PCT -> 405B -> 405 (Ruckel Creek) -> 400?

Chazz

Post by Chazz » January 5th, 2021, 2:59 pm

Never mind, FS indicates that 434 is not maintained and hard to follow. Probably non-existent after the fire.

https://www.fs.usda.gov/recarea/mthood/ ... ecid=53290