Winter hike on Silver Star via Grouse Vista 12/23/20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
lex-of-the-trees

Winter hike on Silver Star via Grouse Vista 12/23/20

Post by lex-of-the-trees » December 28th, 2020, 2:18 pm

This is my first trip report!

Super excited to be a contributor and not just a reader.

I was watching the mountain forecast leading up to our hike on 12/23/20 and we set out on a day that was blue bird clear skies and 5mph wind.

Getting to the hike was no problem. We left Portland around 10, so some roads were slightly icy from being in the morning shade. The last road L1200 is gravel for a few miles, but the its pleasantly packed with few potholes.

The beginning of the hike was more like walking up a rocky stream with all the snow melting for the sun, but after than you're walking on packed snow. We brought micro spikes but were in no need of them. We did take a little detour from the packed snow and hiked on an old trail (I think) that went on the east side of Pyramid walk and had beautiful views of Mt. Hood. But we were tramping through a foot or two of untouched snow and while it was very trail like, the last part before it met back up with Grouse Vista trail was very overgrown and a bit adventurous. If you want to stay on packed snow, definitely keep left when you come across the first big rock structure.

The summit was INCREDIBLE on a clear day, you could see Mt. Hood, Jefferson way out in the distance, Helens, Rainer and Adams. I was quite warm the whole hike, especially with all the elevation you hike up. The summit of course is windy but there are not the exposed, windy ridges you get from hiking up along Ed's Trail to the summit on the northside.
Attachments
IMG_1433.PNG
sturgeon rock from the summit of silver star
44821.jpg
packed snow all along the trail, multiple hikers had been up that day before us
1628.jpg
My badass mom at the summit! Helens, Rainer and Adams all in view.

Don Nelsen

Re: Winter hike on Silver Star via Grouse Vista 12/23/20

Post by Don Nelsen » December 28th, 2020, 8:05 pm

Thanks for the trip report and great photos! Welcome to being a contributor to the site, too. Hope to see more of your adventures.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » December 28th, 2020, 8:26 pm

Welcome!
I just got back, and wondered if we crossed paths, but no, different day and different side.
That road/trail is unpleasantly rocky, so a snow trip is more fun, and feels less like you're walking on an abandoned road.

proxie

Post by proxie » December 29th, 2020, 7:54 pm

On the road to the TH, did you need to put on tire chains? Or despite the icy spots, you were able to safely maneuver around them? I just a have a sedan, and chains if need be.