Mabee Mines

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Mabee Mines

Post by Chip Down » December 10th, 2020, 7:34 pm

I like poking around old mines. Went looking for Mabee Mines in Skamania County. There's a Mabee Mines Road, so I figured there must have been a mine at some time. Couldn't find any info online, except a mention of a Mabee Mine over by Bluff Mountain (near Silver Star Mountain).

I was going to walk Mabee Mines Road a year or two ago, but gated, so Plan B. Returned a couple days ago armed with a secret weapon (bike).

Parked at dawn, past the gate, down the road, across McCloskey Creek, and to a logging operation. No equipment, but looked fresh. It was about sunrise-ish, and I was looping so wouldn't be passing through later on return, so I knew I wouldn't bother anybody if I rolled through. I may have done that, or I may have gone back to my car and headed up McCloskey Creek Road, then dropped back to Mabee Mines Road, where I then went as far back towards the logging operation as was allowed (and thus passing signs that said non-motorized recreational travel was allowed).

Anyway, after that, I continued north on Mabee Mines Road, until Google said Mabee Mines Road was the spur that headed towards Hard Scramble Creek (i.e. ignore the main road that drops towards Washougal River). At a rock barrier, I dropped the bike and continued on foot. It was fairly brushy, the road was faint, and eventually it seemed pointless. I'll bushwhack if I think there's a reward, but honestly I wasn't expecting to find a mine. That was just my excuse to get out of the house.

So then I headed up towards Archer Mountain and explored a bit, just random fun. Was hoping for snow, but none. I think my high point was about 2300'.

There's a short road on the other side of Hard Scramble Creek that's co-named Mabee Mines Road, but I doubt I'll ever check it out. Not much interesting terrain over there, so no payback in the event I don't find a mine.
Attachments
1.jpg
This quadrilateral pond was on my list of places to visit. At that turn in the road, I saw what looked like the very decayed remnant of a dam, and nothing but nasty looking brush below that, so I think I saw what I came to see.
1.jpg (8.33 KiB) Viewed 5256 times
2.jpg
3.jpg
Railcar to bridge, subsequently replaced. I'm amazed at how much steel just rots away in the gorge. You'd think the scrap value would make it worth hauling out.
4.jpg
But then there are also cases where people actually drive into the hills just to discard steel. I assume the plates were obliterated so it couldn't be traced, but one wonders why the tire info was scratched out.
5.jpg
The only abandoned equipment I found all day was at a borrow pit.
6.jpg
Back said "call me", but I lost his card. I'll likely find it someday, and then call him back. He'll think I'm a freak, calling six months later. I wonder if I parked inappropriately, or went where I shouldn't have. Honestly didn't mean to. I'm a scofflaw when it comes to U$F$ rules, but I do attempt to park responsibly and respect property rights. [I wonder if I carelessly thought I had his number in the pic, and then tossed the card...stupid thing to do, but would explain why I couldn't find the card later...yes, I really am that scatterbrained sometimes.]

OregonSurveyor

Re: Mabee Mines

Post by OregonSurveyor » December 10th, 2020, 9:52 pm

My mother’s maiden name was “Mabee”, but that doesn’t help you find the mines ;)
Those deputies sometimes are just curious or responding to a citizen who was concerned.
The number looks like it could have been their generic number which is: (509) 427-9490
Just a possibility...
Jerry King
Oregon Land Surveyor (Retired)
SAR Volunteer - CSAR (Clackamas County Sheriff)

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » December 11th, 2020, 6:51 am

nice adventure. I like old mines and other old developments.

I was near a mine on the Rogue River. A miner stopped and talked to me. He said someone had stolen some of his equipment but didn't accuse me of it. Then he was friendly and gave me some tips on how to find gold.

The policeman probably just saw your car and thought maybe something was amiss. If you wait to contact him in 6 months, he'll have forgotten all about it.

I was camped on the Metolius last winter and a policeman stopped and talked to me. Initially, maybe she was a little suspicious, but then we chatted. Then she came by later and told me the gate to Monte Campground was open but the restroom was closed. Took my contact info so she could call my wife if a mountain lion ate me or something.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » December 16th, 2020, 1:05 pm

Chip Down wrote:
December 10th, 2020, 7:34 pm
I like poking around old mines. Went looking for Mabee Mines in Skamania County. There's a Mabee Mines Road, so I figured there must have been a mine at some time. Couldn't find any info online, except a mention of a Mabee Mine over by Bluff Mountain (near Silver Star Mountain).
Why do you assume there is a second Mabee Mine in the area? Rather than a couple of roads named for the same mine?

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » February 5th, 2021, 8:09 pm

The actual Mabee Mines are SE of Bluff Mountain. The current Mabee Mines road is a portion of the ox-cart trail that ran from Cape Horn to the mines. Though today I learned that it was originally a trail the Natives used to get to Indian Heaven.

Anyways, getting to the Mabee Mines is a proper bushwhack now. I'd point you to the thread on Ghosttowns.com forum's but they turned into a ghost town and then disappeared from the web. Up until about two years ago it was the place to post TRs and history of the mines.

When my Dad took me there back in 2002, we hiked down from Bluff Mountain trail, then followed the remnants of the ox-cart trail to Bluebird creek. From there we followed a slightly better road to the Washougal, turned upriver, crossed the river, and then followed an old road up to the waterfall on Prospector Creek. We had a friend drop us off and pick us up. 9 miles in all. I made this crappy map of the route some years ago.

All of the people from Ghost Towns Forums parked at Bluff Mountain trail, dropped down 2,000 feet, and then climbed back up. It is a proper bushwhack, but you do like that sort of thing Chip. And it is difficult to miss the tailings pile when you are heading down the creek.

Some pictures and descriptions from our 2002 trip are here: https://sites.google.com/site/skystryder/mabeemines

The book "Across Rushing Waters" has the story of the mines. Just like your friends by McCloskey Creek, they didn't pack out much of their equipment. Which is the primary draw of the site.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 5th, 2021, 8:28 pm

Ah, okay, I thought maybe it was down in the Copper Creek area west of Bluff. One more for my to-do list.

A few months ago, somebody was asking about a very old trail in the vicinity, which connected with Bluff. Maybe I could do a little sleuthing for that as well.

Neat pics!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » February 5th, 2021, 9:03 pm

Holy cow! That's lot treasure up there!
Thanks for posting the pics and the info.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » February 5th, 2021, 9:17 pm

How funny. I was considering posting "hey Don, got a map?"
Apparently not. :D

jvangeld

Post by jvangeld » February 6th, 2021, 4:15 pm

I just made a map on top of the latest Forest Service maps. It should provide what is needed for a down-and-up trip to the mines.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/4xzmwHTJKDdifFBx6

The rest of the pictures from our 2002 trip are here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/a1RdUpjih7QEfyyr8 Of note is the third photo, which was taken on our descent down the ridge to the West of Shirt Creek. It looks towards Three Corner rock and across the Y shaped ridge that is on the East side of Shirt Creek.
Jeremy VanGelder - Friends of Road 4109

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » February 8th, 2021, 9:29 am

I wonder if one could follow Bluebird Creek up from the Washougal River, starting at 45.7393, -122.1294.