Gales Creek & Storey Burn, 11/28/20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
smithsummit

Gales Creek & Storey Burn, 11/28/20

Post by smithsummit » November 29th, 2020, 5:36 pm

Howdy,

Yesterday (Sat. 11/28/20) I hiked Gales Creek --> Storey Burn --> Gravelle Brothers --> Gales Creek, starting from the Gales Creek Campground gate. Going from the closed gate added ~1/2 mile each way. Temps were cool (and lightly foggy in the morning). There were a reasonable number of people on the trail, but well dispersed, and everybody seemed in a good mood. More than a few friendly dogs!

Entering Gales Creek campground; day use area on the right:
g1.jpg

Gales Creek, not far out of the CG, headed toward Storey Burn:
g2.jpg

Climbing Storey Burn and catching up to a pair of mountain bikers:
g3.jpg

Small waterfall perhaps 2/3 of the way up Storey Burn:
g4.jpg

Topped out on the Storey Burn climb:
g5.jpg

Nearing the end of Storey Burn and close to start of Gravelle Brothers:
g6.jpg

Crossing an OHV trail. There were quite a few rigs in the OHV parking lot, but I seemed to be passing through during their lunch hour and didn't see any out:
g7.jpg

I cleared 4 logs, plus this widowmaker (over Gravelle Brothers) for the day. Two large trees across the trail remaining. One of the large trees is easily stepped over, the other easily gone under. Mountain biker in the distance was lead rider from the pair I passed earlier:
g8.jpg

Gales Creek from the summit parking lot back down to the CG needs tread work. Quite a few places (none very long) where it doesn't drain well. This was about the worst...
g10.jpg

Great day overall. The loop maxes out at just over 1900 feet and apart from the slorchy spots on Gales Creek between summit and CG makes a great all weather outing.

Happy Hiking,

Rob