Green Point Mt. via Wahtum Lake TH

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Green Point Mt. via Wahtum Lake TH

Post by Don Nelsen » October 20th, 2020, 2:28 pm

We took a chance on the weather Monday and it turned out great, though the views were somewhat lacking. We got up at the unholy hour of 5:20, most unusual for me, at least since I retired 6 ½ years ago.

We made it to the Wahtum Lake TH and started out at 9:15 under misty skies and a temperature of 44 degrees. The weather never got any better, but it was very nice to hike at those temperatures and we never got more than a little spritzing of rain.

The Anthill trail has three trees down, two huge ones and one easy-to-step-over. Here’s Kelly enjoying a morning crawl. The two big ones are fairly close together about a third of a mile from the TH.

Nice fall color everywhere:

The rest of the route along Waucoma Ridge had nothing more than a dozen or so smallish trees down, except this one, located 1.3 miles north of the Anthill Trail junction.

We enjoyed a snack at the cabin at the next junction and then hiked up to Green Point Mt. No views there at all, but still a nice hike.

I took a look down the last segment of the road/trail to Rainy Lake and noticed it needs a little work:

Neither of us wanted to crawl under the two big trees on the anthill trail again so we took the Rainy-Wahtum road/trail all the way back and noticed the huge tree that Obera posted in the Trail Rx section. Interesting also that it fell from west to east so that one wasn’t knocked down from the recent east wind storm. The remainder of that section of the route is completely clear of any blowdown.

8.8 miles, 1,600’ EG, hike # 95
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller