Paradise Park trail

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Double Tree

Paradise Park trail

Post by Double Tree » October 18th, 2020, 5:40 pm

Hiked yesterday, from Paradise Park campground up to Paradise Park. Wanted to check out how the trail faired after the Labor Day windstorm. I found very little additional blowdown, and nothing that obscured the trail for more than a few feet. Really no change to report. Found an abandoned campsite, which I packed out. Tent, broken poles, chewed up blue pad, misc junk including a full size cookpot. Very few people, which is always nice. Beautiful day for a hike.
Attachments
PXL_20201017_192228525.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201017_193021599.PORTRAIT.jpg
PXL_20201017_173621402.PORTRAIT.jpg

teachpdx

Re: Paradise Park trail

Post by teachpdx » October 19th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Thanks for the report... I was looking at maybe heading up that direction if some good weather holds.

I heard that the PCT through Zigzag Canyon is a bit nightmarish with trees downed in the early September windstorm (and that may have changed by now), but glad to hear that PP can still be accessed from down below.
instagram: @remyodyssey

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 19th, 2020, 4:55 pm

teachpdx wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 2:56 pm
I heard that the PCT through Zigzag Canyon is a bit nightmarish with trees downed in the early September windstorm (and that may have changed by now), but glad to hear that PP can still be accessed from down below.
It's surprisingly easy to just drop straight into the canyon and up the other side, avoiding the trail down into the canyon. Not recommended for those with no offtrail experience; requires an honest assessment of one's abilities (i.e. don't do it just because Chip said it's easy).

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » October 20th, 2020, 8:45 am

Chip Down wrote:
October 19th, 2020, 4:55 pm
It's surprisingly easy to just drop straight into the canyon and up the other side, avoiding the trail down into the canyon. Not recommended for those with no offtrail experience; requires an honest assessment of one's abilities (i.e. don't do it just because Chip said it's easy).
Chip, you're the one inspiring me to find a doable route from the Sandy up into Illumination Park, precisely because it it NOT easy! I spent my time in other places this year, but maybe 2021 will be the year to make it happen.
That said, I could see the straight down-and-up happening with a day pack, but even I would be miserable climbing out the other side with an overnight kit.
instagram: @remyodyssey