PCT from Lolo pass north to Cascade Locks 8/16/20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
[email protected]

PCT from Lolo pass north to Cascade Locks 8/16/20

Post by [email protected] » October 18th, 2020, 10:22 am

We started at Ramona Falls trailhead 8:30 am. Trail was being cleared by PCT volunteers who reported lots of downed trees and the area north of Lolo pass was unknown, challenge accepted. Sandy crossing was easy, plenty of blowdown between Sandy and Muddy river crossing but all manageable. Muddy crossing was easy and clear sailing to Lolo pass with minor downfall. Met two south bound through hikers who reported massive blowdown 5 miles north of Lolo pass, had to go see for myself because I'm not smart.

Roughly 50 normal downed trees (crawling, climbing, or end around) from Lolo pass 2112 north to lost lake junction aka Huckleberry Mountain trail #617 at 2116. Campsite at Huckleberry mountain trail is still there but exposed to the wind.

The trail between the peaks of Preachers peak and Devils Pulpit has been completely destroyed from 2116 to at least 2117 (turned around there). The trail has been entirely obliterated with massive amounts of huge downed trees, there is literally no trail for at least a mile up what used to be switchbacks, just hundreds of huge fallen trees.

Cross country travel is dangerous with slippery logs greater than 8 foot diameter crisscrossed over each other, steep slopes, ankle traps, and upended roots creating fall and entrapment hazards. There are sharp broken branches creating a significant impaling hazard (ask me how i know). Seriously, do not go northbound on this section. The risk of serious injury is high and evacuation would be problematic, especially during this time of 'rona. You would be better off going full cross country and avoiding this area entirely. I have no idea where there might be a passable cross country path.

Going uphill was very difficult, turning around and going downhill was much more manageable. The southbound hikers reported the ridge north of Preachers peak to mile 2119 is also heavy tree fall but I didn't see it for myself. We hiked back to Lolo pass, arrived in the dark around 7 pm, and got a pickup. 19 miles and plenty of elevation, plus two miles of gymnastics. No cell coverage anywhere.

Chip Down

Re: PCT from Lolo pass north to Cascade Locks 8/16/20

Post by Chip Down » October 18th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Funny, that's the same area where I really struggled to find the trail in the snow (months ago) and realized I needed to just find my own way (darn :D ). Because the trail mostly follows ridgelines, there's not much risk of getting lost. Brush isn't too bad. There is one stretch with bogus map data (depending on your source), but hikers who use the ridges to guide their route will eventually end up back on PCT.

edit: I too struggled with cell service. Very spotty.