Diamond Peak Wilderness Loop, Know Before You Go!

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Oregon Grinder

Diamond Peak Wilderness Loop, Know Before You Go!

Post by Oregon Grinder » October 8th, 2020, 9:33 am

Hello, I'm new to OH's group and glad to now be a part of this service! This is a heads up trail conditions report to anyone considering the Diamond Peak Wilderness Loop hike . As of 10/05-10/07 2020, I completed this loop with reservations that the entire southwest to northwest portion of the loop is all but impassable or at best frustrating! I engaged the the loop at the junction of Vivian Lake trail #3662 and proceeded clockwise, east on the Mount Yoran Trail #3683, all was great until I headed back northwest on the Diamond Peak Trail. The trail at this point was messy with downed branches but fine otherwise. Beyond the Pioneer Gulch TH cut off is when the trail got hammered with blow downs of microburst magnitude, upended trees with tree root balls standing on end 12 to 15 feet high, live trees 3.5 to 4 ft in diameter crisscrossing over one another like matchsticks! Fairly hard to follow the trail at this point and equally dangerous with a pack on your back, I at times had to take off my pack and pass it over or under downed trees to narrowly squeeze through some areas. The trail clears for small sections then you're back at it for more, this goes on for miles. The further north you go, the trail gets a little better but still frustrating at times as trail fatigue starts to set in. After 9 hours and roughly 22+ miles that day, I was very happy to be done with this hike and one of my favorites btw, I don't see this trail ever being reopened without major trail diversions and lots of devoted volunteer man hours. Hope this helps in planning your next outing, stay safe and happy hiking! Message me if you have questions, I'll try and answer them best I can ... OUT 4 now!

jley

Re: Diamond Peak Wilderness Loop, Know Before You Go!

Post by jley » October 16th, 2020, 8:03 pm

Is this new damage? or old?

adamschneider

Re: Diamond Peak Wilderness Loop, Know Before You Go!

Post by adamschneider » October 16th, 2020, 8:15 pm

I'm guessing new, from the Labor Day windstorm.