Mt. Adams, Stagman Ridge Oct. 6th, 2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Re: Mt. Adams, Stagman Ridge Oct. 6th, 2020

Post by drm » October 12th, 2020, 6:58 am

I have a headlamp. It gets turned on a few times per year. I think the current battery is going into it's second winter, maybe third.

Webfoot

Post by Webfoot » October 12th, 2020, 8:56 am

Chip Down, what headlamp(s) do you use?

jerry, that's a different use profile than I had in mind. Almost anything works in a tent. I want my headlamp to work even if I fall in a creek, bash it against a rock, stow it under a leaking bottle, etc. If you have to evacuate in the middle of the night due to a wildfire will your kit be bright enough, long enough?

There are bigger, more powerful USB charging headlamps as you suppose, e.g. Fenix.

I don't think I understand your concern though. USB charging can be more convenient but it is typically not as fast—especially with larger batteries—as a dedicated charger. Further you usually cannot use the light while it is charging, and the charging ports themselves are often not waterproof (relying instead on a rubber plug) making your kit vulnerable for an extended period of time compared to a battery swap.

You wrote "I like the USB rechargeable because you don't go through batteries. And I hate having batteries that are partially discharged, I'm not sure how much, so I have to bring a spare set." It sounds like you are describing non-rechargeable cells. If you use a AA-size rechargeable, freshly topped off before your trip, you know it is full and with your light use you probably won't have to change it. You can carry a couple of lightweight Energizer Ultimate Lithium disposable cells as a backup as you see fit.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 12th, 2020, 9:22 am

yeah, different lights for different user profiles

I'm just throwing out one possibility that will be right for some people

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 12th, 2020, 4:52 pm

Webfoot wrote:
October 12th, 2020, 8:56 am
Chip Down, what headlamp(s) do you use?
I just happened to get a free Nitecore HC60, and I like it enough that I don't use my Black Diamond anymore. It's extremely simple. To turn it on, I press a button. To increase brightness, I press the button again. To turn it off, I hold the button. Perfect. USB rechargable, which I like, but I would consider rechargeable standard cells as well.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 13th, 2020, 2:56 pm

Here is a pic of the other headlamps I use. The green and blue one is the best, lightest and most reliable. The other two are back-up. I need to have a few around so I can always find at least one when I need it. Kinda like having a bunch of tape measures in your shop so there's always one around! :)
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » October 13th, 2020, 5:29 pm

Don needs headlamps because he starts hiking at noon. :lol:
(I need headlamps because I'm slow :| )

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » October 13th, 2020, 5:52 pm

Chip Down wrote:
October 13th, 2020, 5:29 pm
Don needs headlamps because he starts hiking at noon. :lol:
(I need headlamps because I'm slow :| )
I thought it was because you start before the sun comes up. :)
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 13th, 2020, 7:34 pm

Anyone that wears out shoes in three trips isn't slow

K.Wagner

Post by K.Wagner » October 14th, 2020, 5:35 am

Don,
Roman & I were up there a couple of years back. Loved the area. We went up the creek, beautiful, slightly challenging route.
We had the perfect timing to see the creek actually receding upwards. Because it takes about 12 hrs for the melt water to get down to the meadow, we were seeing the decrease from the previous night's flow. Fascinating to follow the receding water line as it disappeared into the sand!
I know about loosing a GPS, lost one on the approach to Minnie Peak. Know about where I set it down, and looked for it the next day, and a year later, never found it.
Kelly
There is no shortcut to anyplace worth going to.

PM me about the soon to be released:
Skamania 231
"How to really get off the beaten path in Skamania County"