Ramona Falls Loop 10/2/2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Cascade

Ramona Falls Loop 10/2/2020

Post by Cascade » October 3rd, 2020, 9:52 am

The gate at the Sandy River Bridge is closed and locked, so if you want to hike the Ramona Falls trail or access the Timberline Trail or PCT from there, be prepared to hike an extra two miles in along the road to get to the trailhead. The Ramona Falls Loop was heavily impacted by blowdown during the September 8-9 windstorm; over 400 trees are down on the loop! A PCTA crew was out on Friday 10/2 and got the blowdown cleared from the Ramona TH to the Sandy River crossing, but the loop itself still has around 380 trees down, so be prepared for a full body workout if you go. Long sleeves and pants recommended -- it's pretty scrapey out there!

BlindBoyGrunt

Re: Ramona Falls Loop 10/2/2020

Post by BlindBoyGrunt » October 3rd, 2020, 6:34 pm

Thank you for the update. Last Monday my wife and I hiked up McGee Creek Trail and took Timberline to the Bald Mountain cut-off and circled around Bald, ending up at its summit. Surprisingly easy going, with minimal blow downs, save for some on McGee, however manageable. I intended to do a lollipop by taking Timberline back to the McGee Trail, and the short section between the PCT/Timberline junction and the Bald Mountain cut-off was impassable. Giant blow downs on the trail. At one point, I monkeyed 40+ yards over and under trees without touching trail once. I turned around and made it an out-and-back. My wife didn't speak to me at all on the return!

I am a long-time lurker here, and I can't thank the participants of this forum enough for all their insight and humor. Cheers!

gallione11

Post by gallione11 » October 3rd, 2020, 9:50 pm

Thanks for the update. Why would they say the trails are "open" but not have the gate open? I know it's not a favorite to the most frequent posters on here but it's one of my favorites. After already doing the 13 mile loop from the gate the day before it "officially opened" in May (we took the Salmon River trail and not the road), disappointing to hear it's essentially closed. Downed trees is one thing -- there were several back in May, though not 380 -- keeping the gate closed is another.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » October 4th, 2020, 5:56 am

I don't see why they close it at all. If there's too much snow, people can't drive in.

Maybe they'll re-open it this year