Wapiki / Lemei Rocks - with climbing goat

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Wapiki / Lemei Rocks - with climbing goat

Post by drm » September 28th, 2020, 6:31 pm

I dayhiked Wapiki Lake and up to Lemei Rocks on Sunday. I might have skipped posting a report but though I've seen goats many times on Mt. Adams, they were eating grass on slopes. I've never seen a goat scrambling on steeper terrain. Many thanks to the hiker who pointed it out to me.
wale1.jpg
Mt Adams has a new coat - won't last long this week
wale2.jpg
Looking down on Wapiki Lake
wale3.jpg
Lemei Trail is on the right, but note the faint trail on the left, which is the end of the trail that comes directly up from the lake. It's been years since I've done this abandoned trail, not sure how much is there any more. Anybody done it recently?
wale4.jpg
Fall colors in Indian Heaven
wale5.jpg
Okay, there's my goat. Wish I had a nice camera for this.

Don Nelsen

Re: Wapiki / Lemei Rocks - with climbing goat

Post by Don Nelsen » September 29th, 2020, 10:25 am

drm wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 6:31 pm

Lemei Trail is on the right, but note the faint trail on the left, which is the end of the trail that comes directly up from the lake. It's been years since I've done this abandoned trail, not sure how much is there any more. Anybody done it recently?
Overgrown and with a few trees down but easy enough to follow. Here's a GPS track from Sept 2nd with the old route in yellow:

Nice to get a shot of a goat up there - I can't remember ever seeing a goat in IH.

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller