Adams N/NE

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Adams N/NE

Post by drm » September 26th, 2020, 2:29 pm

I did this three day trip last weekend, Sept 19-21. Hiked up the Muddy Meadows Trail.
an20_01.jpg
Kind of cloudy when I arrived at the Highline Treeline area for camp 1
an20_02.jpg
Mostly clear by sunset, and the next morning
an20_03.jpg
Clouds came and went during the day
an20_04.jpg
On my annual hike up to Devils Garden - the tiny white dots just below center are a herd of goats, who immediately ran away over the moraine
an20_05.jpg
From the trail high point at about 7750, I headed up further to this top point, about 8100'. I did not climb the moraine
an20_06.jpg
Looking down over Devils Garden - easy wandering
an20_07.jpg
Descending through the alpine - Goat Rocks fully melted out
an20_08.jpg
Night 2 camp was at Lower Killen Creek Meadow
an20_09.jpg
Killen Ck cascade just below the PCT
an20_10.jpg
Thirsty ponds before the recent big rains
an20_11.jpg
Muddy Meadows - not muddy in September

Chip Down

Re: Adams N/NE

Post by Chip Down » September 26th, 2020, 3:24 pm

It's like I'm stalking you, virtually.
In preparation for my recent return to Sunrise Camp, your very-old TR was one that I read carefully, and now, as I prepare to return to Muddy Meadows + Devil's Garden + etc, I run into this report.
I've been to Muddy Meadows just once, starting in the dark and returning in the dark. It kinda bothers me that I've never seen parts of the mountain where I've been. Of course, clouds can do the same thing, so it's hard to avoid that, right?

So how far did you get? I only made it to Victory Ridge. Hope to go a little farther next time. But I'm decades older now, so...
[edit: nevermind, I think one of your pic captions answers my question]

OneSpeed

Post by OneSpeed » September 27th, 2020, 10:09 am

I am heading out for the west side of Adams on Monday -- just wondering about blowdown on the trails? Seems maybe the east side would have it worse, but maybe the rangers have been up there since Labor Day like I saw they were in Indian Heaven.

What did you see? Thanks!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 27th, 2020, 6:34 pm

OneSpeed: I didn't see a lot of downed trees when I went up from the south climbers TH last week, and then CCW on RTM trail. A few right around the TH, but no big deal. Several across the road had already been removed. I suspect you'll be okay. Several hikers all around SW WA have reported that crews have been really diligent about clearing roads.

drm

Post by drm » September 28th, 2020, 2:47 pm

There were quite a few blowdowns on the Highline Trail, though nothing particularly difficult. But many had very worn in detours, which means they weren't from the recent sandstorm. Apparently with their late start this year, the trail team did not get to the Highline.

I haven't heard of any widespread problems on Adams, but any place you go could have a localized problem.

Chip - My route to Sunrise Camp was definitely not the standard one, which I didn't know at the time. Most people continue up to the glacial lake and then traverse over to the camp. I traversed lower, and then followed the ravine up next to Ridge of Wonders. When I did that, there were trails going both ways.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 29th, 2020, 8:30 pm

drm wrote:
September 28th, 2020, 2:47 pm
Chip - My route to Sunrise Camp was definitely not the standard one, which I didn't know at the time. Most people continue up to the glacial lake and then traverse over to the camp. I traversed lower, and then followed the ravine up next to Ridge of Wonders. When I did that, there were trails going both ways.
Oh! I just got home from doing exactly that! Went as low as possible, and as close to RoW as possible. Interesting. Report shall follow.