Bird Mt. Loop, Indian Heaven, 092120

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Bird Mt. Loop, Indian Heaven, 092120

Post by Don Nelsen » September 23rd, 2020, 2:05 pm

After hanging out at home and only leaving for necessities we got tired of laying around doing jigsaw puzzles and eating comfort food. Twelve days of that and I’m afraid of even looking at the scale. Time to get out and do something so we headed up to Indian Heaven.

As we pulled out of Vancouver and neared the Interstate Bridge, we could see traffic ahead of us backed up to MP 2 and only then remembered the bridge repair work being done. We exited on 39th and headed back north to get on 205. Fortunately, no traffic there at all and we had a smooth ride up the Gorge, crossed in Hood River and made our way through Trout Lake and on up route 141 and then road 24 finally pulling in at the Cultus Creek campground.

There was no smoke in Vancouver when we left but there was a little smoke in the Gorge as we drove through. Luckily, by the time we passed Trout Lake and neared out goal, all traces of smoke were gone.

A view in the gorge as we drove through:

I’d never hiked these trails, always accessing this area from the north or the other side of the Bird Mt/Sawtooth Mt. ridge so this was mostly new territory for me. And most of it for Kelly too. There was evidence of only a light sprinkle of rain over the past few days, and the ground was entirely dry under the trees.

We started out on Trial 108 from the north side of the campground and gained elevation quickly. This is a great trail, good surface rarely a rock and well maintained. From a TH elevation of 3,988’, we crested the ridge at 5,237’ in 1.4 miles. A few hundred feet later we were on the PCT and enjoying the essence of Indian Heaven and its fantastic fall scenery.

A few photos:

After 2.3 miles on the PCT and a few short side trips to lakes and meadows, we took a left on Trial 33 and checked out Clear Lake, Cultus Lake and Deep Lake. Neither of us had ever visited these seemingly popular spots and glad we finally did. We saw only 6 or 7 other hikers on the entire trip and only one tent so nearly had the whole area for ourselves.

Clear Lake:

Cultus Lake:

Deep Lake:

We explored a bit, did some off-trail wanderings and then headed on back, again on Trial 33.

Another note: Expecting a lot of windfall due to the recent windstorm, we were very pleasantly surprised that there was hardly any damage. We saw only three trees down, two easy step-overs and one we easily ducked under.

Note: Don’t try to get to Indian Heaven via Carson. The road is closed somewhere north of there due to the Big Hollow fire. We found out the hard way on the way back and were detoured onto the Curly Creek Road and had to get back via Road 90 and SR 503. Shorter, and about the same time but way slower and windier.

Another great day in the woods!

8.0 miles 1,727’ EG, Hike # 87

The map:
Last edited by Don Nelsen on September 25th, 2020, 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Re: Bird Mt. Loop, Indian Heaven, 092120

Post by retired jerry » September 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm

Gifford Pinchot National Forest is open???

I have never done a trip to Indian Heaven before, this might be an opportunity

I've just called it "Mosquito Heaven" and discounted it. Not as good views and alpine areas.

Maybe something on Mt Adams would be good

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » September 23rd, 2020, 2:16 pm

retired jerry wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm
Gifford Pinchot National Forest is open???
GP never did a full closure like their counterparts to the south. Only the SW corner of the Forest is closed by the current fire... south of Lewis River and west of Wind River Hwy, generally.
instagram: @remyodyssey

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 23rd, 2020, 2:47 pm

retired jerry wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 2:10 pm
...I've just called it "Mosquito Heaven" and discounted it...
We saw nary a bug on this hike. But you're right, it can be bad at the right/wrong time.

dn

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

poppacouch

Post by poppacouch » September 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm

Don, Any huckleberries remain?

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 23rd, 2020, 11:18 pm

poppacouch wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 8:37 pm
Don, Any huckleberries remain?
We only saw a few and those were right after we left the PCT and headed east on the 33 trail. Except for that one area, I think the huckleberry season is over.

bushwhacker

Post by bushwhacker » September 24th, 2020, 5:10 am

Don Nelsen wrote:
September 23rd, 2020, 2:05 pm
Another note: Expecting a lot of windfall due to the recent windstorm, we were very pleasantly surprised that there was hardly any damage. We saw only three trees down, two easy step-overs and one we easily ducked under.
I made a pass through Indian Heaven on the PCT near Blue Lake yesterday (yeah it was wet but like Don I just had to get out) and there had been dozens of trees blown over. Fortunately a Forest Service crew had come in and spent 3 days clearing trails. I learned this when I crossed paths with the crew leader that did the clearing when he and another person were lugging in boards to replace a bridge near Thomas Lake. Of course I thanked him more then once for their hard work. The trail would have most likely been impassable without their efforts.

Small section on the PCT near Blue Lake. There were a bunch more that I didn't that pic's of.
IMG_1237.JPG
IMG_1238.JPG
IMG_1239.JPG

drm

Post by drm » September 24th, 2020, 7:13 am

I did an Indian Heaven trip in late August and had no bugs.

It's a complete myth that Indian Heaven has mosquitoes. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Last edited by drm on September 24th, 2020, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 24th, 2020, 8:16 am

don't confuse me with the facts, if I believe there are mosquitoes there, there are mosquitoes there

in my mind :)

actually, there are probably mosquitoes there sometimes, not necessarily worse than anywhere else. Although there is some good mosquito habitat.

the worst thing about Indian Heaven is there's a lot of forest, not so good views like on Mt Adams, Goat Rocks, Mt Hood...

drm

Post by drm » September 24th, 2020, 8:24 am

retired jerry wrote:
September 24th, 2020, 8:16 am
the worst thing about Indian Heaven is there's a lot of forest, not so good views like on Mt Adams, Goat Rocks, Mt Hood...
It has a different appeal. Something about lakes and meadows and berries.