Observation Peak and Sister Rocks

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Observation Peak and Sister Rocks

Post by Don Nelsen » September 17th, 2020, 5:50 pm

Given the encroaching fire on Observation Peak and Sister Rocks this will probably be the last documentation of what these hikes looked like pre-burn.

This was two hikes, June 22nd to Observation Pe3ak and a return on Aug. 23rd to visit Sister Rocks. We had planned to visit both on the first hike but the mosquitoes were so bad we bailed on Sister Rocks.

We started both hikes from the TH on road 6406 on the north side of the peaks but missed a turn and did some unintentional exploring prior to getting back on track. This is an easy junction to miss: Take the left fork on the unsigned road 6406 from road 64 here: Likely to look a bit different next time :(

Map:

Same area as above showing fire as of 091720:

This is/was a beautiful hike through a mixed old growth/second growth forest and the trail was in excellent shape. Only one tree down on 8/23 - but that has surely changed. We hope at least the old growth survive.

Once on the short spur to Sister Rocks, you are in the bear grass zone.

This is a five mountain view hike: Here's a couple views to the north. Didn't have a wide enough angle lens to get all three peaks in one shot:

And to the south:

Close up:

Kel on Sister Rock summit:

The view west from the summit: From the fire map, this little forested bump in the foreground survived but it's burned downhill to the right of the road cut visible as the dark line.

A nice viewpoint at the junction where the Sister Rocks spur trail starts:

Observation Peak from Sister Rocks:

The summit of Sister Rocks is two distinct outcrops. Here's the west one viewed from the east one:

DN
Last edited by Don Nelsen on September 19th, 2020, 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

drm

Re: Observation Peak and Sister Rocks

Post by drm » September 18th, 2020, 7:12 am

Close to an inch of rain is forecast for this area through Saturday starting later today, so hopefully the fire spread is basically over. Don't know what to make of intensity. This has generally been a slow-moving fire but since it has moved down a slope within the Trapper Creek canyon, I would expect quite a mosaic effect. But up around those two high points - who knows.

naturallog

Post by naturallog » September 19th, 2020, 1:35 pm

I saw an update for the Big Hollow fire that there was some good creeping behavior recently. Also fingers crossed for a nice mosaic burn in this area!

My partner and I hiked Observation Peak and Sister Rocks on Aug 30th. Not very hot, no bugs :D , great views. We really enjoyed the tread of the trails and the character of the forest. I did make note of all the baby trees in the understory through a good stretch on the way to Observation Peak... will be interested to see that they fared/fueled this fire.

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 20th, 2020, 3:11 pm

naturallog wrote:
September 19th, 2020, 1:35 pm
I saw an update for the Big Hollow fire that there was some good creeping behavior recently. Also fingers crossed for a nice mosaic burn in this area!

My partner and I hiked Observation Peak and Sister Rocks on Aug 30th. Not very hot, no bugs :D , great views. We really enjoyed the tread of the trails and the character of the forest. I did make note of all the baby trees in the understory through a good stretch on the way to Observation Peak... will be interested to see that they fared/fueled this fire.
We noticed those baby trees too. It was quite the bonsai forest in places. Even a ground fire would probably take them out though. Thanks for the comment.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller