Goat Rocks Wilderness: Hogback Mt. & Pigtail Peak 090720

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Goat Rocks Wilderness: Hogback Mt. & Pigtail Peak 090720

Post by Don Nelsen » September 10th, 2020, 4:18 pm

My birthday was on Labor Day this year and what better way to spend it than a nice hike in a beautiful place!
Hogback Mt. is popular among the prominence obsessed having 2,009’ between it and the saddle between it and the next highest peak. I could see on Listsofjohn.com that 5 people I know and have hiked with have summited it as well as a half dozen more I know by reputation. I suppose I was late to the party.

Weather turned out to be perfect with 50 degrees early morning at the White Pass TH where the PCT crosses Hwy 12. It never got over about 70 the whole day and the skies were crystal clear until the smoke showed up about 2. By then we were almost back, so no problem.

The hike is entirely on the PCT except for the short off-trail to reach both peaks and it was a delight to chat with the dozen or so PCT through hikers we encountered on the trail. In fact, we met a couple of guys Kel and I met and talked with two weeks ago when we hiked from White River to Timberline Lodge. Amazing folks these through hikers! Bojangles, Happy, 007, Pittsburg, Lowlander and a half dozen more I didn’t get avatars for. They all expect to reach Canada by the end of the month and looking at how enthusiastic and fit they all appeared, I believe they will all make it. I was especially impressed with Bojangles since he is just a year younger than me and is doing about 20 miles a day, every day. Pretty good, especially for a 72 year old!!

A few photos from the hike:

Hogback Mt.

Goat Rocks and Mt. Adams as I approached the ridge:

My route took me over the highpoint on the ridge in the distance then across this saddle:

The PCT winding south as I look down from the summit. I don't know what that spire is called in the right center but it sure looked impressive.

My route back down:

The view to the NE at 12:40 pm - no smoke in sight.

An hour later, here comes the smoke!

Pigtail Peak wasn’t too impressive but we went over there to check it out:

Another great day in the woods: 11.7 miles, 2,617’ EG, hike # 85
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

adamschneider

Re: Goat Rocks Wilderness: Hogback Mt. & Pigtail Peak 090720

Post by adamschneider » September 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:18 pm
I don't know what that spire is called in the right center but it sure looked impressive.
It doesn't have a name, at least not on the topo maps. Don't you hate that? If it were in Iowa, it'd be the centerpiece of a National Park!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » September 10th, 2020, 10:39 pm

adamschneider wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm
Don Nelsen wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 4:18 pm
I don't know what that spire is called in the right center but it sure looked impressive.
It doesn't have a name, at least not on the topo maps. Don't you hate that? If it were in Iowa, it'd be the centerpiece of a National Park!
Interesting to note that there are hundreds [edit: thousands :shock: ] of un-named glaciers in Alaska. An Alaskan visitor to Mt Hood would look at Eliot Glacier and wonder why we bother to name that little speck. :roll:

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 11th, 2020, 10:39 am

Here's another noteworthy spire I saw as I trekked up the PCT Monday. When I first spotted this I thought "Oh no, I hope that's not where I have to go to get up Hogback Mt." It turned out to be yet another unnamed tower along the way.

This is an incredibly scenic area and I'll be going back as soon as the smoke thins out.

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

arieshiker

Post by arieshiker » September 11th, 2020, 1:58 pm

Belated Happy 72nd Don. Not much better than a classic trek for any significant day. That mystery spire - from the distance - looks a bit like a mini-Devils Tower. 2020 has been some serious mileage for you, and it's still over 100 days til Christmas!

Don Nelsen

Post by Don Nelsen » September 11th, 2020, 2:09 pm

arieshiker wrote:
September 11th, 2020, 1:58 pm
Belated Happy 72nd Don. Not much better than a classic trek for any significant day. That mystery spire - from the distance - looks a bit like a mini-Devils Tower. 2020 has been some serious mileage for you, and it's still over 100 days til Christmas!
Thanks! (But it was bojangles who is 72, I'm 73 - going on 35 :D )

I'll go check that tower out, maybe next week and post a TR. So many things to see, so little time!

dn

drm

Post by drm » September 11th, 2020, 2:47 pm

adamschneider wrote:
September 10th, 2020, 7:43 pm
If it were in Iowa, it'd be the centerpiece of a National Park!
Or maybe a quarry?