Mt Adams Loop Gap Attempt

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Joeshmo

Mt Adams Loop Gap Attempt

Post by Joeshmo » September 7th, 2020, 8:34 am

I tried to do the Mt Adams loop this labor day weekend but only made it as far as the gap summit/saddle camp between the Mazama and Klickitat glaciers (coming from Cold Springs). The glacier decent did not look like the photos in other trip reports from earlier in the year! It was rippled and cracked and I just don't have experience enough to pick a route through something like that, even with poles and micro-spikes. Rock hopping the Mazama glacier was tricky enough for me. There was some seriously fresh and seriously large rock fall on the sides of the Klickitat glacier visible from the saddle camp, so skirting the glacier on the side seemed like a no go. I didn't see any rocks actually fall there, but there sure was a lot of visible and audible rock fall on the face of the summit! I thought getting back up the scree field to get out of the Mazama glacier basin was pretty sketchy. Somebody coming down (the only person I saw in 2 days) helped me route find a way up. I can admit, I was in over my head. I've done both the Timberline loop and the St Helen's loop in 2 days each this year, so physically I was fine. But technically, I'm just not there. Not yet anyway.

Stay safe.

ImageIMG_0056 by Jo Shmojo, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0063 by Jo Shmojo, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0068 by Jo Shmojo, on Flickr

ImageIMG_0080 by Jo Shmojo, on Flickr

Chip Down

Re: Mt Adams Loop Gap Attempt

Post by Chip Down » September 8th, 2020, 7:52 pm

Yeah, that's a tough one. I've never done it, but have failed a couple times. Also tried to get to the top of that high point at the upper right of your last pic. I think it's called The Castle. Big/flat/open on top, suitable for camping. :D

Getting past Klickitat requires either glacier travel or unstable "rock", or both. I suppose a good analogy would be the challenge of getting from Paradise Park to Yocum Ridge on Hood. Funny, I never thought about that before, the fact that both mountains have exactly one real challenge for a off-trail high circum. Hmmm...St Helens too, with the South Toutle Canyon. Interesting. It's as if the volcano gods are taunting us.

OUTDOOR VIEWFINDER

Post by OUTDOOR VIEWFINDER » September 12th, 2020, 10:16 am

During the past few years, I've seen a few posts about hiking the Mt. Adams Round the Mountain trail and figured I would share some info that might not be known. The entire east side of Mt. Adams (tract D) is Yakama Nation land that has been closed to hiking, etc for the past 4 years as a result of the Cougar fire. During this time I kept in touch with the Yakama Nation recreation dept to inquire about their land use policy. Prior to the closure, I hiked the entire loop twice and although it's a beautiful traverse, the east side is particularly dangerous and should not be attempted by anyone not experienced in this type of terrain. Due to the closure, people should respect the policy. If someone got injured or killed, Yakama Nation could close the land for recreation for good and it would be shame to lose that right to enjoy the east side of Mt. Adams. The latest news on the situation (as of last week) is that they are going to open the area to day use only on September 21st and a permit can be obtained only at Mirror Lake from 7am-6pm. $5 cash only per vehicle. The area will be open to fishing or camping, hiking only. Let's all do the right thing and respect and follow their policy until it changes in 2021, when it's likely the area will be completely open. For more info, contact Pia Beaver at: [email protected].
Attachments
Screen Shot 2020-09-12 at 11.14.17 AM.png
Jason Waicunas
Outdoor Viewfinder
http://www.oviewfinder.com/

romann

Post by romann » September 14th, 2020, 8:38 pm

Nice report. Always dreamed about RTM loop (but the high route, so much more interesting than the trail), done most of it in parts but not the glacier. It's never a "failure" to be able to get up there and enjoy a few days, even if it doesn't go by plan :)
until it changes in 2021, when it's likely the area will be completely open.
Good news actually, if it happens! I thought east side was never going to re-open. So lucky I stumbled on your post.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 15th, 2020, 5:04 am

can you go cross country from high camp to above foggy flat, on to Devil's Garden?

OUTDOOR VIEWFINDER

Post by OUTDOOR VIEWFINDER » September 15th, 2020, 9:08 am

Any hiking on the east side (reservation land) requires a day use permit as mentioned in my previous post. Check maps as needed.
Jason Waicunas
Outdoor Viewfinder
http://www.oviewfinder.com/

jalepeno

Post by jalepeno » September 20th, 2020, 9:47 am

retired jerry wrote:
September 15th, 2020, 5:04 am
can you go cross country from high camp to above foggy flat, on to Devil's Garden?
That's the "easy" part- mostly trail the whole way. But there is a difficult stream crossing right after Foggy Flat- the Muddy Fork- that's fast and deep. Last time I crossed it, I threw my boots and pack to the other side and then semi-swam, pulled myself on boulders across.

The difficult part is going from Avalanche Valley to Sunrise camp at the edge of the Mazama Glacier. You have to pick exactly the right place to cross Battlement Ridge and access the Klickitat Glacier.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 20th, 2020, 10:49 am

There's a trail down from high camp to PCT and over to Foggy Flat

But, I wonder if you can go directly over from High Camp to Devil's Garden, off trail?

Yeah, those two stream crossings past Foggy Flat are difficult

AlpenGlowHiker

Post by AlpenGlowHiker » September 20th, 2020, 1:14 pm

retired jerry wrote:
September 20th, 2020, 10:49 am
There's a trail down from high camp to PCT and over to Foggy Flat

But, I wonder if you can go directly over from High Camp to Devil's Garden, off trail?

Yeah, those two stream crossings past Foggy Flat are difficult
It looks like it may be kind of sketchy, but certainly worth a look. Maybe climb up to glacier lake, then traverse the glacier/snow field(?) and descend down a bit to the north/north east and contour around. Looks like it could be pretty adventurous!

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » September 20th, 2020, 1:22 pm

some day I'm going to check that out