Petroglyph Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Solofemalehiker35

Petroglyph Lake

Post by Solofemalehiker35 » August 19th, 2020, 10:26 am

IMG_20200816_083213.jpg
Some of the petroglyphs are so strange, I wonder what they are of.
Hiked to Petroglyph lake Sunday 8/16/2020. Started the trail right after watching the sunrise above the lakes at the viewpoint. I was the first car in the very tiny parking area (2cars w/the option to park on the side of the road.) Heard coyotes in the distance as I was getting ready for this hike.

Be aware if coming from the North/Burns, the last 41+ miles are on gravel washboard roads. There may also be cattle roaming the road in the first 10+ miles. On my way in I slowed several times due to cattle on the side of the road or in the road. There is no cell service once you leave the blacktop, so make sure you are prepared.

Check for gate closures due to inclemental weather especially in the shoulder seasons. Multiple area had gates and although they were open in summer they do get closed in shoulder season.

There is no shade here and it can get very hot, so pack accordingly.

There are no bathrooms at this TH, this hike is not Handicap accessible as it is not a paved path and can get rocky. This hike would be good for small children, but be aware the wild life is easily spooked.

I hiked 4.20 miles w/139ft elevation gain. I saw 2 large herds of antelope in the meadow and at the lake. The coyotes I heard calling to each other on each side of the lake. At the first couple trails up to the rock walls I found no petroglyphs, keep going though as they become very abundant. The petroglyphs are on the left side of the lake on the rock/Boulder walls.

All trails to the lake are visible.

Remember pack it in, pack it out. Leave no trace. Leave the trails better than you found them.
IMG_20200816_082450.jpg
Petroglyph lake