The Timberline Loop Contrarian

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
sheilakpdx

Re: The Timberline Loop Contrarian

Post by sheilakpdx » August 19th, 2020, 12:27 pm

Hi drm -

Do you recall how the water crossing was at the West Fork of Ladd creek? Rock/log hop or should we expect to bring along some tevas? Many thanks (again)

drm

Post by drm » August 19th, 2020, 1:14 pm

Sheila - My feet didn't get wet on any crossing on the entire loop, but that included a few log crossings, and the temps were probably a bit below average on the north side. And my poles come in very handy for tricky log crossings, and a couple of them were a tad balancy. I would always recommend bringing water shoes just in case the log is gone, but I didn't use mine except in camp. When I did it, the trickiest rock hop was the Coe and the most slippery logs was the Muddy Fork. YMMV.

sheilakpdx

Post by sheilakpdx » August 19th, 2020, 7:58 pm

Got it - thanks again—-

Charley

Post by Charley » August 20th, 2020, 11:53 am

I've done it clockwise, from Timberline, in two nights.

I've done it counter-clockwise, in three nights, from Cooper Spur.

That's probably too many dependent variables for a real comparison, but I would say that three nights was more enjoyable, and that planning the trip around favorite campsites is my first priority on any trips I do in the future.

I have planned an overnight version with a friend that we might never do (camp at Tilly Jane so as to leave shelter weight, use a Sawyer filter to drink from streams and not carry water, etc). Looks like it might be a real kick in pants.

Attachments
timberline301.jpg
Believe it or not, I barely ever ride a mountain bike.