Black Crater loop and more of the “Eternal Trees of McKenzie Pass”

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Black Crater loop and more of the “Eternal Trees of McKenzie Pass”

Post by Don Nelsen » August 15th, 2020, 12:40 pm

As many times as I’ve hiked in the McKenzie pass area I’ve somehow never managed to hike Black Crater. After seeing solofemalehiker's recent TR I was reminded so I checked it out yesterday (August 14th).

This is a surprisingly good trail, not even one tree to step over though a bit dusty. The sign at the TH says it's 4 miles one-way but my GPS said its only 3.6 miles and 2,307' EG from the TH at 4,944'. There's a little bit of reclimb so I ended up with 2,401' total EG.

Fantastic views and I was glad to be hiking in more comfortable temperatures, unlike a couple of days ago. As I drove to the TH, the car thermometer registered as low as 38 degrees as I passed through the area between Detroit and Sisters but once I gained some altitude, the reading shot up to 63 by the time I got to the TH at 5200’ about 9 AM. Nice inversion!

A few photos:
Sadly, the forest is completely toast for the first 2/3 of this hike. But still scenic in an artsy sort of way:

Sad that these trees died after having to work so hard for centuries to survive in this climate:

Once having gained some altitude, the views commenced:

The final bit to the summit:

The view south from the summit:

The view north:

Here's a view into the main crater:

The pass from the summit:

And a close up shot:

I noticed a trail leading off to the west that looked like it might head for the crater rim so checked it out:

This trail petered out after a few hundred feet but the rim was easy enough to follow. I eventually left the rim and made a beeline through the open burned forest and rejoined the maintained trail.

Looking back at the summit for the rim:

Away from the rim heading towards the regular trail:

The map:

And now the part about the "Eternal Trees": A photo I took 51 years ago from my camping spot on the north side of Hwy242 next to the lave flow. And yesterday from the same spot. Amazing how little has changed in so many years.

On a similar note, here is a shot I took from the summit of a little Kipuka out in the lava flow. I visited this a few years ago while exploring the area and took a few photos but can't find them at the moment. The changes here should prove interesting once a few decades have passed.

Close up:

dn
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

poppacouch

Re: Black Crater loop and more of the “Eternal Trees of McKenzie Pass”

Post by poppacouch » August 18th, 2020, 7:46 am

Nice report. Especially enjoy your historical pictures and the comparison. Truly, very little has changed in that landscape!

TwoPaw

Post by TwoPaw » August 18th, 2020, 12:31 pm

It's amazing these trees manage in what looks to be a totally inhospitable landscape to thrive. This reminds me of the PCT north of the Riley Camp trail, except more trees have grown in there over time.

We do see change in the two pics. There are clearly three trees that were alive that are now snags. However, in true eternal fashion, new ones have grown up since to take their place.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 18th, 2020, 4:58 pm

Great report! I very much regret that I didn't do this hike before the forest burned. It would be a trudge on a hot day without any shade through that burn section.

Love the then-and-now comparison!