Wahkeena to Larch Mt Trail - 8-13-2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
dmthomas49

Wahkeena to Larch Mt Trail - 8-13-2020

Post by dmthomas49 » August 14th, 2020, 6:30 am

The plan was to start at Wahkeena Trailhead and hike to the Larch Mountain trail up to the first bridge.
IMG_0680.JPG
The parking lot at Wahkeena Trailhead has only 10-11 parking spots.
IMG_0678.JPG
We were the only car when we arrived at 7am. Upon return, there were 8 cars.The parking across the road is blocked as is the lower parking area.
IMG_0676.JPG
IMG_0677.JPG
You can still park at Multnomah Falls or I84 Lot and hike to Wahkeena on the 400 trail. Even the Multnomah Falls park is now severely reduced.
The trail on the way up is in pretty good shape. Some areas were brushed out. A few others are not.
IMG_0685.JPG
At the intersection to the Angel's Rest Trail we looked at the closure map. It definitely shows the trail to Angels Rest from here is closed. I bet the brush is very heavy on that trail.
IMG_0683.JPG
We made it to the top near the intersection with the Devils Rest Trail and started down towards the Larch Mountain Trail. This part has very heavy brush in some areas. Long sleeves and pants might be advisable as we were pretty scratched up.
On the way down to the Larch Mountain trail intersection, we saw this bear scat.
I guess lack of humans allowed them to feel comfortable here.
IMG_0686.JPG
The Larch Mountain Trail in the short part to the bridge, had very heavily brush.
IMG_0692.JPG
We turned around and headed back. Saw only 2 other people on the trail.
"The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness."
— John Muir

squidvicious

Re: Wahkeena to Larch Mt Trail - 8-13-2020

Post by squidvicious » August 14th, 2020, 10:55 am

dmthomas49 wrote:
August 14th, 2020, 6:30 am
You can still park at Multnomah Falls or I84 Lot and hike to Wahkeena on the 400 trail. Even the Multnomah Falls park is now severely reduced.
There is no public parking at all allowed on the highway side at Multnomah. It's the I-84 lot only, and that is only available from the eastbound lanes--and those gates will be closed once it gets full.