Cowhorn Mountain - 8-9-20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
DannyH

Cowhorn Mountain - 8-9-20

Post by DannyH » August 13th, 2020, 6:32 am

Earlier in the week I joined my Mom for a couple of hikes out of Sullivan's Southern Oregon book. I grew up riding snowmobiles around Diamond Lake and Crescent Lake every winter. Hiking up the prominent peaks that I spent plenty of time admiring as a kid has been a lot of fun. The PCT supply cache at the Windigo Pass Trailhead was very well stocked as of Sunday afternoon. The gravel roads from the North Umpqua side were fine for a passenger car. We only passed 2 people on the trail the entire day, did I mention this was on a Sunday! There are some real bonuses to getting farther afield from Portland.

The PCT is in great shape and the use trail that turns up the ridge onto Cowhorn is obvious. It's mostly a hike through the forest until the ridge, but there are a few spots about halfway up that give a great view of the destination. The different colored layers of volcanic rock on Cowhorn were fascinating and the views extended from Jefferson to Crater Lake. All in all a really satisfying 9 mile stroll.
Attachments
IMG_20200809_115926.jpg
IMG_20200809_105236.jpg
20200809_121801.jpg
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bobcat

Re: Cowhorn Mountain - 8-9-20

Post by bobcat » August 17th, 2020, 11:35 am

Nice. I'll be in that area in a few days. You got clear skies!