Salmon River from East Trailhead – 08-11-20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Salmon River from East Trailhead – 08-11-20

Post by bobcat » August 12th, 2020, 6:37 pm

TKO is in its second season working from the east end of the Salmon River Trail. I went on a mid-week jaunt to check out the conditions.

The trail has been logged out as far as the junction with the abandoned Fir Tree Trail. (The junctions with this and the also abandoned Dry Lake Trail are both obvious and that route is worth exploring, I think.) The route crosses Fir Tree Creek three times. After this, it reaches the Salmon River at a lovely campsite and then crosses Wolf Creek, where there’s another camp.

At the East Trailhead, Salmon River Trail.jpg
Footbridge over Mud Creek, Salmon River Trail.jpg
Junction with Dry Lake Trail, Salmon River Trail.jpg
Sign at Fir Tree Creek, third crossing, Salmon River Trail.jpg
Rotten footbridge at skunk-cabbage springs, Salmon River Trail.jpg
Campsite on the Salmon River, Salmon River Trail.jpg
Downstream from the campsite, Salmon River Trail.jpg
Unnamed creek, Salmon River Trail.jpg

There are a few big bundles of blowdown across the trail closer to Linney Creek. I could scramble over, under, and around all of these although some contortions were required at a couple of the trail blocks. There are a few big Douglas-firs in this area but most of these wilderness slopes are unlogged “new” growth recovering after the extensive Sherar Burn of about 120 years ago. There are still rotting burn snags in the understory. The Linney Creek Camp is a great site at a swimming hole. A recent tenant had much time on their hands creating shelters for the local pixie population. A ford of the Salmon River is required to head up to the Linney Creek Trailhead, only about half a mile away.

Blowdown, Salmon River Trail.jpg
Big Douglas-firs, Salmon River Trail.jpg
Junction, Linney Creek Trail and Salmon River Trail.jpg
Elfin lodgings, Linney Creek Camp, Salmon River.jpg
Swimming hole, Linney Creek Camp, Salmon River.jpg

DannyH

Re: Salmon River from East Trailhead – 08-11-20

Post by DannyH » August 13th, 2020, 6:07 am

I've been contemplating doing the entire Salmon River with a car shuttle, is the east trailhead accessible with a passenger car? Thanks!
"It isn't the mountain ahead that wears you out; it's the grain of sand in your shoe."

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 13th, 2020, 7:31 am

DannyH wrote:
August 13th, 2020, 6:07 am
is the east trailhead accessible with a passenger car?
Yes. Not much gravel (maybe 3 miles), only a few shallow potholes. Post here if you do the trip!

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 13th, 2020, 10:58 am

I was on a TKO trail crew last fall along that stretch. We spent the whole day brushing out the trail, which was very satisfying. The fall colors were pretty nice too. Here is a before-and-after look:
DSC_1444_51_Before_After.jpg