Packwood Lake and the Coyote Trail Loop

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
drm

Packwood Lake and the Coyote Trail Loop

Post by drm » August 10th, 2020, 6:57 pm

I did a 3-day trip to a new area for me. I backpacked into Packwood Lake for two nights, an easy and relatively flat four mile hike. The trailhead is a six mile paved drive above the town of Packwood. On the free day I dayhiked the long loop (about 16 miles) continuing up the Packwood Lake trail, turning right on the Coyote Trail to Packwood Saddle, and then turning right again on the Upper Lake Creek trail back to Packwood Lake. Packwood Lake is at 2900' and the Coyote Trail tops out at about 6400'.

Packwood Lake is large - almost two miles long and maybe a half mile wide

The historic guard station, built in 1910

My camp at about mid-lake

A Packwood Lake sunset

I was off the next morning, and 2000 feet up and slightly off my route is Lost Lake

On and on through the forest, wet with condensation, my boots and pants soaked, I finally start to reach alpine areas

Looking across at the upper areas of Upper Lake Creek. No trails in that valley but the PCT crosses above, in the clouds in this photo - I think the Goat Rocks Knife Edge Ridge crosses up above

The Coyote Trail continues across this mountain face

Trail across a landslide, about one third down from the top - it felt steeper than it looks here

Towering rocks on the ridge above. Chimney Rock is at the top, though not visible here

Eventually you traverse onto the ridge

The view directly across from the Coyote Trail

Down at Packwood Saddle

Back down in the valley next to Upper Lake Creek

And miles of flat hiking to get back to Packwood Lake

And another Packwood Lake sunset after a hard day on the trail

leiavoia

Re: Packwood Lake and the Coyote Trail Loop

Post by leiavoia » August 11th, 2020, 8:01 am

I was just there myself and even snagged the same campsite. I took the route In the opposite direction and camped at Beaver Bill Creek. Nice area to explore more of while not being too far away from pdx. Thanks for posting pix of lost lake. I did not get to visit that on the way through.

I did see a sidetrail near the top and am wondering if it goes up chimney rock or just an overlook point

drm

Post by drm » August 11th, 2020, 3:43 pm

I kept an eye out for a trail going up near the high point and never saw one. Not that I would ave tried it considering how far I was going that day already.

While Lost Lake is only a quarter way around the loop in my direction, it is over half of the altitude, so not a bad place to stop for a night on the loop, especially if you skip camping at Packwood Lake.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 12th, 2020, 4:18 pm

Wow, that ridgecrest section is beautiful!
Too bad it's marred by that ugly trail. ;)

drm

Post by drm » August 16th, 2020, 7:09 am

Chip Down wrote:
August 12th, 2020, 4:18 pm
Wow, that ridgecrest section is beautiful!
Too bad it's marred by that ugly trail. ;)
Chip - There was a time in my youth then I might have agreed. But I have found that my 60-something body really likes good trails. In my youth I lived for class 2 and 3 scrambling passes in the Sierra Nevada. Now I want somebody to get those damn fallen trees out of my way. :o