Vista Ridge to Elk Cove

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
trailmasterp

Vista Ridge to Elk Cove

Post by trailmasterp » August 9th, 2020, 7:42 pm

Just a quick report (no photos) for those wondering about trail and road conditions. On Friday, my seven-year-old son and I went up the Vista Ridge Trail for a night at Elk Cove.

A word of warning regarding roads to the Vista Ridge TH: I strongly recommend driving in from Hood River unless you're in a high clearance vehicle, as the road from Highway 26 is in terrible shape. We drove in via East Lolo Pass Road, which was VERY rough in places. There is a sign at around the 10-mile point saying the road is closed 1 mile ahead and we saw several regular passenger cars turn around. We proceeded in our Honda CR-V (admittedly a city car masquerading as something more rugged, but it does have AWD) and managed to make it past two heavily washed out sections. We went out via Hood River, though, not wanting to tempt fate a second time.

One other note regarding driving directions: the field guide page for the Vista Ridge TH says the turnoff from Lolo Pass Road to NF Road 18 is 10.7 miles from Highway 26, but I measured it at 16.7 miles...quite a difference if relying on those directions. Or perhaps I misunderstood the directions?

The Vista Ridge Trail itself was in good shape with only minor blowdown in the section that traverses the area burned by the Dollar Lake Fire. We didn't see too many other hikers until we reached the Timberline Trail, which was much busier. After arriving at Elk Cove around 1:30 pm, we searched for a campsite and pickings were already slim. Luckily, we managed to find a private campsite off the Elk Cove Trail with a nice view of Hood. Elk Cove really filled up and by the evening people were camped all over the place, including in the protected meadow areas. When we hiked out the same way on Saturday, we saw even more people, of course. Wildflowers were lovely and there were some mosquitoes and flies, but we never needed to use repellant. We enjoyed the gorgeous views of the glaciers on Hood's north side and my son enjoyed playing in the creek.

adamschneider

Re: Vista Ridge to Elk Cove

Post by adamschneider » August 9th, 2020, 7:52 pm

When you got to the top of Lolo Pass, did you go more or less straight/north under the power lines, or did you turn right/east and do a big "W" through a couple of creek valleys? Because the former is well known to be nearly impassible, and the latter is now the official route of Forest Road 18.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 9th, 2020, 8:02 pm

Oh dear: I just checked, and Google Maps is still sending people over the old nasty road. Time to "submit feedback" about that...

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 10th, 2020, 5:45 am

I asked google maps how to get from Snowgrass Flats trailhead (goat rocks) to Killen Creek trailhead (Mt Adams)

It sent me on a bunch of obscure gravel forest roads rather than the main forest roads 21 and 23.

Google maps is pretty good, but imperfect in wild areas

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 10th, 2020, 6:18 am

trailmasterp wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 7:42 pm
One other note regarding driving directions: the field guide page for the Vista Ridge TH says the turnoff from Lolo Pass Road to NF Road 18 is 10.7 miles from Highway 26, but I measured it at 16.7 miles...quite a difference if relying on those directions. Or perhaps I misunderstood the directions?
The Field Guide is correct. It sounds like you missed the turn at Lolo Pass. I think the Lost Lake sign there may be long gone, though. Can anyone verify? I'll take that out of the FG write-up if that's the case. I actually don't think the intersection at Lolo Pass has any signage at all now, maybe?

retired jerry wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 5:45 am
Google maps is pretty good, but imperfect in wild areas
I always tell people to NEVER NEVER NEVER follow Google Maps when navigating roads in the national forest. Have a good map, know how to read it, and get directions from a hiking book, the Field Guide, or someone who's been there.
trailmasterp wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 7:42 pm
Elk Cove really filled up and by the evening people were camped all over the place, including in the protected meadow areas.
Ugh, that is so disheartening to hear. Hopefully no one built a campfire, which is ALWAYS a bad idea in a meadow but right now there is a fire ban.

trailmasterp

Post by trailmasterp » August 10th, 2020, 9:58 pm

I did see the right turn (around 10.2 miles according to my odometer) signed to Lost Lake, but the road was physically closed. There were 4-5 cars sitting there and I think folks were trying to figure out how to get to Lost Lake based on what one driver told me. My assumption (and perhaps that of Google Maps) was that the correct turnoff was further along because I was only at 10.2 rather than 10.7 miles and the road signed to Lost Lake was closed. Provided that the route signed to Lost Lake isn't always closed, it's good to know that's the way to go. Feels sort of good to know that I made it down a "nearly impassable" road in the CR-V! 😂. Totally agree re Google Maps.

Titogoeshiking3

Post by Titogoeshiking3 » August 11th, 2020, 5:22 pm

I was up there 2 weeks ago and the straight route has a closed road sign on it just passed the gate.

drm

Post by drm » August 11th, 2020, 6:23 pm

retired jerry wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 5:45 am
I asked google maps how to get from Snowgrass Flats trailhead (goat rocks) to Killen Creek trailhead (Mt Adams)
Taking FR 21 and 23 between those two places would go many miles west out of your way. You used to be able to take 5603 to connect 21 and 23 but the Adams Fork bridge is closed long-term until they do a complete replacement, so you would now have to take 21 all the way to it's end on 23.

trailmasterp

Post by trailmasterp » August 11th, 2020, 7:58 pm

I can confirm that there is indeed a sign posted by the straight route staying it is closed one mile ahead. The road isn't physically closed (e.g. gated), but is in terrible shape. In contrast, the road to the right signed for Lost Lake was physically closed when I was up there.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm

Kudos to anybody who took a CRV straight at Lolo Pass. Yeah, that's a horrible road. But what's with the closure on the normal route, turning right at Lolo Pass? I don't recall seeing a gate there. Is there a barricade up? Why?