North Sister PCT Section Day Hike July 25

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
buckwheat

North Sister PCT Section Day Hike July 25

Post by buckwheat » August 9th, 2020, 12:21 pm

As a follow to my previous post (Mt Washington Wilderness June 20-21) - I decided to cover the distance of the PCT between hwy 242 and the Obsidian LEA. I had already hiked the Obsidian LEA down to Mirror Lakes, so this was a small gap that I figured I could knock out in a day on my project to section hike the Oregon PCT. It would take me from mile 1984 to mile 1973. I figured if I did it as a day hike, I wouldn't have to carry as much gear, and that 20ish mile range is pretty suitable to a day hike.

Again, I left Corvallis about 530 AM. I stopped in Springfield for food and gas around 630, and got up hwy 242 to the trailhead by about 830ish. It was a later start than I preferred, but at the same time, without car camping at the trailhead, or missing out on sleep in town, its hard to get there much earlier.

The first mile, mile and a half, is just crossing the lava flow. Its not fast, but its not terrible. The environment feels alien to my verdant valley sensibilities. But once you pop out over by Lava Lake into the forest, the going is pretty quick. I got to South Matthieu lake 100 minutes after I left my car, smiled at the water, then kept trucking. The next couple miles were again, pretty generic. Not bad, but just like sandy dusty rocky trail without much else. The giant gravel cone (google tells me its Yapoah crater) - was about the point where the hike turned interesting. Almost immediately after the cone, you work your way into a magical alpine meadow with vibrant wildflowers, and soft grass. Then you start climbing and climbing, and get great views.

I stopped for a snack around Minnie Scott Spring, wiggled my toes, and then got moving again. The following stretch had some of the best exposure I had seen in a while. Hiking up a ridgeline, being able to look north and see Washington, Jefferson, 3FJ, Hood, Adams all in a line. The wind was very noticeable here, and that was fantastic, as climbing that much elevation definitely warmed me up. The high point was around Opie Dilldock pass - at about 6900 feet, about 1700 ft above the start at hwy 242. The views were great, and as much as I grumbled about having to go up so much, its always worth it. The descent from the pass towards the Obsidian LEA went quickly. But I didn't realize that it was like 2.5 miles more until my midway point, I had mentally assumed it was only another like 1/2 mile, so as it kept going and going, I got frustrated at the thought of backtracking all this, and questioned why I really had to go touch the sign.

But, by the time I got to glacier creek where the trail's meet, I felt so rewarded for my efforts. I washed my feet in the creek, got fresh water. Ate a sandwich. Took some pictures, and laid down for a minute. It was about 1 PM when I got there, so I figured it was about 5 hours in, 5 hours out.

This stretch between Opie and Glacier also had a tremendous wildflower bloom. I think they're lupines, but I am willing to be corrected.

The hike back up to the pass went quicker and easier than I was expecting it would. I didn't feel tired, and I felt excited to be on my way back now. Half of hiking is a mental game to convince myself to not turn back, so by the time I get to turn back, it always feels easier. The trip back was pretty unremarkable and easy. I was back at the meadow with the Scott Lake Trail junction by about 330. I stopped for about 5 minutes to eat some food, and the mosquitoes swarmed. I hadn't noticed them anywhere else on the trip, so I decided I could eat and walk, and thats what I did. The gravely hike up Yapoah was the last real climb and then I knew it was coasting back to the car, so it felt difficult, but really wasn't.

Around 5, I stopped at South Matthieu for a short swim, and cooldown. As I knew if I was there at 445, I would be back at the car before 7, and back home before 10, so the pressure was off. I opted not to take the Matthieu lakes trail, and stayed on the PCT, because I was just in cruising mode and it seemed easier to keep going where I'd been. Hit the lavafield a little after 6, and was back at my car by about 645. Drank some water, swapped my shoes, and got out of there. All in all, the day was about 22 miles.

I like climbing up trails like that though, so if you're that sort of person too, I say yes. But if I had to recommend this hike to someone else, I would say maybe don't do it exactly like I did. I'd say for most people starting at Lava Lake Camp rather than the hwy 242 trailhead, and stop at the top of Opie pass. That would shave ~1 mile of lava hiking off the beginning, and ~2.5 off the end, which would lower the overall mileage from ~22 to 15ish. You'd still get almost all the same views, and you wouldn't have to climb down the pass just to climb back up it at the end, and you'd have 2 fewer miles of carefully picking your steps through rocks.

Gratuitous Pictures Photo Album https://photos.app.goo.gl/sTUa8wT8BJRxox8GA

retired jerry

Re: North Sister PCT Section Day Hike July 25

Post by retired jerry » August 9th, 2020, 1:19 pm

Nice report, pictures, and your other ones

I love that area, maybe I'll do something later this season. Got to do it this year before oppressive regulations kick in.

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » August 9th, 2020, 1:32 pm

As similar as the 'central cascades' is to itself, I am constantly amazed by how I can go 10-15 miles down trail or highway and find new and different experiences and views and hiking conditions. I'm practically going back to the same area next weekend, and its going to be much different than this, even if its only 10-15 miles away.

Next weekend I'm gonna be looping around Broken Top and taking a novice backpacker out, so I'll temper my love of long days with realistic expectations. Expect a trip report on that coming by the 20th.

KDfishbiologist

Post by KDfishbiologist » August 9th, 2020, 2:51 pm

Great pictures and loved hearing about the area. I’m heading that way at the end of the month to do the whole loop. What are your thoughts about having a dog on this trail? My pup has been backpacking and hiking with me for years so he’s in good shape, but don’t want to take him on a big trip that’s going to wreck his paws. Thoughts?

buckwheat

Post by buckwheat » August 9th, 2020, 5:31 pm

I think I saw 1 dog on this hike, and 1 dog when I was over by Belknap the previous month, both of them had those doggy booties on them, and seemed to do fine from the minute or so I saw of each of them. If the whole loop, you mean the circle around the 3 sisters, as long as the dog is behaved, I don't think anything about the terrain will be an impediment. There are a lot of people especially near South Sister, and generally a few people every mile the rest of it, so as long as your dog is behaved and not prone to environmental damage or getting close to people who don't like dogs, I don't see why not.

I've had dogs in the past, and generally decided as much as I love them, its one more thing for me to worry about- their paws, water, food, behavior, etc, that I have chosen to leave them at home on any overnight expedition.

The rocks themselves were fairly abrasive, so without serious calluses or dogmittens, I would expect by the end, they'd be limping if you go through several miles of lava, especially with how hot they get in the full sun.

KDfishbiologist

Post by KDfishbiologist » August 10th, 2020, 9:08 am

Thank you for your input. It's really helpful and appreciated! Sounds like this might be one trip where he stays at home. Happy Trails!

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » August 12th, 2020, 4:30 pm

buckwheat wrote:
August 9th, 2020, 1:32 pm

Next weekend I'm gonna be looping around Broken Top and taking a novice backpacker out, so I'll temper my love of long days with realistic expectations. Expect a trip report on that coming by the 20th.
Excellent. That's been on my to-do list for so long, particularly the Bend Glacier area (only section I haven't explored yet). Maybe your outstanding TR will be the enticement I need.