Elkhorn Crest - Summit Lake from Anthony Lakes 8/1 - 8/3/2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
teachpdx

Elkhorn Crest - Summit Lake from Anthony Lakes 8/1 - 8/3/2020

Post by teachpdx » August 4th, 2020, 8:23 am

My best friend and I took a weekend jaunt out to the Elkhorns, to get prepped for next month's 100-miler in Yellowstone. It's a good approximation to the altitude, temperature, and trail conditions we expect to encounter (minus the grizzlies, of course!), and we had ourselves weighed down with 9 days of equipment to gauge our true hiking weight. Plus the remoteness meant we wouldn't be around too many folks, so it was a win-win.

Thanks to COVID, we opted to do an out-and back to Summit Lake instead of a thru-hike shuttle out the Twin Lakes trail. So we drove from the PDX metro separately... I got a 6:30 AM start from Hillsboro. We met up in La Grande and waited a couple of hours while he had a tire issue looked at, and we were finally headed out from the Elkhorn Crest TH adjacent to Anthony Lakes a bit later than expected at 2:15 PM.

The trail starts off in decently shaded forest, and for the first mile is crisscrossed by ski trails. Eventually the roots give way to rocks as the trail ascends to Angell Pass, around 2.8 miles and 1000' of gain.
IMG_6480.JPEG
Approaching Angell Pass from the north
The trail then descends around 250 feet over the next half mile to reach Dutch Flat Saddle, where the wildflowers were in abundance.
IMG_6483.JPEG
Approaching Dutch Flat Saddle
Leaving Dutch Flat Saddle, it's nearly two miles of ever-so-gradual downhill over Cunningham Saddle to the notch at Nip and Tuck Pass. Some serious work went into constructing this trail into the granite hillside. The trail crosses from the west to the east side of the crest at Nip and Tuck Pass.
IMG_6486.JPEG
Trail between Cunningham Saddle and Nip and Tuck Pass
IMG_6487.jpg
Nip and Tuck Pass
By this time it was already 5:30 PM and we were making slower time than we had anticipated. The effects of going straight from sea level to 8000 feet were pretty noticeable. And now there was more climbing to do! From Nip and Tuck the trail passes the signed junction with the Lost Lake trail and then climbs through a couple of switchbacks the 350 feet to regain the ridge just north of Lost Lake Saddle, then descends slightly to the saddle.
IMG_6488.JPEG
Ridge crest north of Lost Lake Saddle
Over the next 2.25 miles, the trail generally trends downward... 200 feet of gain and 600 feet of loss to the junction with the Peavy Trail.
IMG_6491.JPEG
South of Lost Lake Saddle

At the junction, the trail coincides for a short while with a 4x4 road and passes near a high trailhead at the end of FR 5505, losing another 200 feet over a half mile before regaining trail tread and reaching the junction with the Summit Lake trail.

Our late start and slower than desired pace meant that we hiked the remaining 1.5 miles to Summit Lake in fading twilight. The trail loses 350 feet but also gains 150 feet, and those uphill pitches were slow at the end of the day.
IMG_6495.JPEG
Little Summit Lake at sunset from Summit Lake Trail.
There were three groups already camped at the lake (normal for a Saturday, I assume). A group of cyclists camped in the main spot on the north end of the lake pointed us to a nice campsite surrounded by marble outcroppings on the northeast side of the lake. It was a fantastic spot.

Early Sunday morning, all of the groups camped around us packed up and left, and we were left alone with the lake and its resident Osprey, along with a couple families of mountain goats. We hiked around the lake, did some swimming and reading, and had the most perfectly relaxing day.
IMG_6506.JPEG
Summit Lake
Around 4:00 PM we heard the screams of children across the lake. A group of probably 14 people, it looked like two families with all of their kids, arrived and made their way to the large campsite on the southeast end of the lake. It wasn't much later that the kids were on the shoreline seeing whose voice was the loudest over the lake, a constant sound of an axe chopping who knows how many trees, and then the familiar smell of a campfire during high fire danger/burn restrictions.

I found my zen, chilled out, and enjoyed the rest of the evening as much as I could between the screaming.

We packed up and headed out early Sunday morning, after being awakened by gunfire before 7 AM from our respectful lake neighbors. We were both feeling much better physically than we did on the hike in, we decided to take a detour on the way back. We hiked the 1.5 miles back to the crest and the upper trailhead, and sure enough saw the lifted 4x4 vehicles that had transported the families to Summit Lake. We took off down the east side into the North Powder River drainage, along a road that looked frequented by 4WD vehicles, and then grabbed the Lost Lake trail just south of Harmony Lake. The trail, shared with ATVs, climbs gently past Harmony Lake and then drops sharply (about 300' elevation) before climbing sharply (about 450') to Lost Lake at 5.2 miles. We took a quick break and then started the remaining steep climb back to the crest at Nip and Tuck Pass.

The rest of the trip from Nip and Tuck back to Anthony Lakes was the same as the way in, just reversed. The weather was slightly cooler than Saturday, but the sun was at an angle earlier in the day that provided less shade. We stopped for a lunch break at the high point at Angell Pass, and saw some goats in the meadow below lunching as well, before traversing down the remaining rocky trail to a cold IPA stashed away in a cooler in the car.
IMG_6520.JPEG
Looking north from Angell Pass
Stats:
Outbound: 10.7 miles, 1610 ft gain, avg. pace 30:02, 8 people
Inbound: 11.7 miles, 2034 ft gain, avg. pace 28:14, 0 people
instagram: @remyodyssey

drm

Re: Elkhorn Crest - Summit Lake from Anthony Lakes 8/1 - 8/3/2020

Post by drm » August 5th, 2020, 6:12 am

I think I may actually get out there this year, and an out-and-back to Summit Lake has always been my plan. Since you didn't mention bugs, I'm guessing they were not a problem. And I suppose you thought you would have the place to yourself when everybody else left on Sunday - that big group probably thought everybody else would leave and they wouldn't be bothering anybody!

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 5th, 2020, 7:21 am

drm wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 6:12 am
Since you didn't mention bugs, I'm guessing they were not a problem.
Bugs really weren't an issue... just a touch of DEET every now and again in the afternoons... at sunset they all disappeared. There were a few locations with flies and wasps on the trail in and out, but were no issue if we kept moving. I was very pleasantly surprised!
drm wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 6:12 am
that big group probably thought everybody else would leave and they wouldn't be bothering anybody!
Understood, but to walk past our camp, see us there, and then carry on unabated shows a high degree of either disrespect or complete ignorance. I generally like seeing other campers around the lake, but these were not good lake neighbors, unfortunately.

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 7th, 2020, 6:41 am

Looks gorgeous!
teachpdx wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 7:21 am
to walk past our camp, see us there, and then carry on unabated shows a high degree of either disrespect or complete ignorance. I generally like seeing other campers around the lake, but these were not good lake neighbors, unfortunately.
Ugh, that would have made me so angry I would not have been able to enjoy myself. Shooting guns? That's not just annoying, it's highly dangerous.

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 10th, 2020, 6:25 am

justpeachy wrote:
August 7th, 2020, 6:41 am
Ugh, that would have made me so angry I would not have been able to enjoy myself. Shooting guns? That's not just annoying, it's highly dangerous.
That's one of the reasons I am SO looking forward to Yellowstone next month... all backcountry campsites are reserved, and are spaced very far apart. On one of our nights, the closest campsite will be 7 miles away. Our only neighbors will be grizzlies.

drm

Post by drm » August 10th, 2020, 8:31 am

teachpdx wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 6:25 am
That's one of the reasons I am SO looking forward to Yellowstone next month... all backcountry campsites are reserved, and are spaced very far apart. On one of our nights, the closest campsite will be 7 miles away. Our only neighbors will be grizzlies.
Assuming people follow the rules?

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 10th, 2020, 10:00 am

drm wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 8:31 am
Assuming people follow the rules?
I would hope so!
I think that folks who are hiking in an area 35+ miles from the nearest road/trailhead (the most remote area in the lower 48) most likely have a greater understanding of the regulations, and wilderness etiquette in general, than weekend warriors who pack the entire house (and its guns) to camp 1.5 miles in.
The only foreseeable camp-sharing on this trip will be if we or somebody else gets into an unplanned/emergency situation... in that case it's totally understandable.

drm

Post by drm » August 10th, 2020, 10:29 am

When I backpacked the Teton Crest loop a few years back I found that the big name national parks attract a very different crowd than I am used to. I saw people carrying guns for protection, though none were fired that I heard. I saw people carrying all manner of chairs and stools and stuff I had never seen before in the backcountry. And I'm not talking about lightweight backpacking chairs either. I saw people carrying wooden kitchen stools dangling below their packs, banging into the backs of their legs as they walked. It sounds like you may be getting to more remote parts of the park so I wish you the best!

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » August 10th, 2020, 12:46 pm

drm wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 10:29 am
I saw people carrying guns for protection
I saw a young bro doing that on the summit of Elk Mtn in April. The outdoors takes all kinds, apparently. :lol:
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

teachpdx

Post by teachpdx » August 10th, 2020, 2:55 pm

drm wrote:
August 10th, 2020, 10:29 am
I saw people carrying wooden kitchen stools dangling below their packs, banging into the backs of their legs as they walked. It sounds like you may be getting to more remote parts of the park so I wish you the best!
I have certainly seen my fair share of the crowd you mention in National Parks... definitely a different breed of hiker, generally.
We are hitting up the Thorofare region in mid-September... with the off-peak trip timing and the remoteness of the location, I doubt we will see many people outside of our first and last day on the trail.
Thanks for the well-wishes!