Barrett Spur Scramble, 8/2/2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
wnshall

Post by wnshall » August 3rd, 2020, 10:33 pm

On Sunday I took the Cathedral ridge trail up to the Timberline trail and then hiked off trail up a glacial moraine to the small summit just below Barrett Spur. I love scrambling off trail to this rocky alpine viewpoint with sweeping views of the north flanks of Mt. Hood, three Cascade volcanoes, and an astonishingly up close view of Mt. Hood. I usually access Barrett Spur by taking the Vista Ridge trail up to Wyeast basin and scrambling off trail from there. But sitting on the ridge above McNeil point looking across to Barrett Spur, I've often pondered the possibility of following one of the ridges between McNeil and Cairn Basin. The occasional mention of such scrambles in trip reports confirms it's doable.

Since circumstances dictated a Saturday hike, I was looking for something a bit remote to avoid the crowds I knew would be flooding the usual trails, so it seemed the perfect opportunity to try this off trail scramble.

Map of the route I took. Red are the off-trail portions.
Ladd Glacier Scramble to Barrett Spur.png
Route Map
I started on the Cathedral Ridge trail, a beautifully built trail that switchbacks steeply across a talus slope and then in forest to gain the ridge, and then gradually climbs along the ridge up to the Timberline Trail, alternating between forest and burned areas from the Dollar Fire.

Apparently it was a banner year for beargrass in this area. At the lower elevations it was already gone by, but especially in the open burned areas, the spent blooms dominated the understory. Mid-way up the ridge I began to see some beargrass still blooming.

Once at the Timberline trail I took the trail to McNeil Pt up to the short access trail to the Ladd Creek, about where the trail bends to the right to head towards the point.

(Maps list this as Ladd Creek, but so is the creek on the other side of Cairn basin - eg. CW around the mountain from this point. The two creeks join together below Eden Park to form Ladd Creek, so I suppose this is the West or South branch of the Ladd Creek. Although it appears to drain from the Glissan Glacier, not the Ladd, as the other branch does. So maybe this stretch should be called the Glissan creek. These naming conundrums probably didn't exist 50 years ago, since according to the Forest Service topo maps, what is now a creek was a permanent snow field. )

After the relatively easy crossing here, I took a short break to enjoy the alpine scenery.

After a short break, I continued up the ridge across from the creek. This leads to the moraine separating the Glissan Glacier (to the South) and the Ladd Glacier (to the North). Looking at the terrain and the map, I was faced with a decision: Continue up this moraine, which gets very narrow and steep and also climbs quite high up on the mountain with uncertain travel across snow fields, or descend into the Ladd Creek valley, cross the creek, and ascend the next ridge over. That ridge had what appeared to be a clear shot up to Barrett Spur along surfaces that had the light green blush of vegetation, indicating somewhat more solid footing. On the whole this second ridge seemed the easier route, but required scrambling down the loose and steep side of the moraine. Ladd Creek at this point was covered by snow, so crossing appeared fairly easy. Then a 10 or 15 foot scramble up loose material on the other side. The other option was to go back down and attempt a crossing of Ladd Creek lower down that might not involve scrambling down steep, loose slopes, albeit with the uncertainty of the creek crossing.

In the end I opted for scrambling down and crossing the Ladd over the snow. A hundred feet or so down and across the loose material brought me to the snow-covered creek, and then I was climbing up the other side.

In these pictures of the valley between the two moraines, slightly uphill from where I crossed, you can see the signature U-shape left by the retreating Ladd glacier.

Once on this ridge, it's an easy walk up to Barrett Spur. The little round knob at the base of Barrett Spur is my destination.

Looking beyond the glacial moraine at the ridge above McNeil Pt.

Another view across to the ridge above McNeil Pt, this one higher up, a section I call the Dragon's back:

At a few places the ridge I was traveling gets narrow at the top

but nothing like what the other moraine appears to have. The stretch in the middle of this photo appears to come to a point, with little or nor consolidated surface at the top.

If it is possible to hike along that narrow moraine, you then have to travel across the snowfields to get to Barrett Spur. Here's the upper end of the moraine and a pano of the route one would have to take:
IMG_1565-Pano_Book.jpg
While I'm sure there are folks who have done that route, on the whole I'd rather stick to the ridge I took.

The dramatic cliff a the end of Barrett Spur:

An oasis just before the top:

Photo looking back at the route. If you zoom in you can see the dirt trail leading from the McNeil Pt trail down to Ladd Creek.

I just love the terrain up here, and the amazing views.

After soaking in the views, I started back down. I followed my normal route that goes NE off the summit and joins the Timberline trail East of Cairn Basin. Here's the saddle with a pond just below the little summit.

The descent is an embarrassment of alpine wildflowers.

There as been discussion here before about the source of the dirt mounds that one often sees up on the mountain. Some attribute them to a tunneling animal of some sort, but they are not hollow, and are completely above ground. In the example below, I could lift sections of the dirt and found grass and other vegetation underneath them. My guess is that they are created somehow below the snow fields as they melt, perhaps melting water flowing under the snow deposits the dirt. The example below is something I've never seen before: a section of grass continues from the dirt.

Once reaching the Timberline Trail, I headed West toward Cairn Basin and the Ladd Creek crossing. I normally do this hike from Vista Ridge, and I sort of had forgotten about needing to cross Ladd to get back to Cathedral Ridge. Because I had dawdled coming down through the glorious alpine meadows, it was about 6 pm when I arrived at the creek, and it was roaring heavily with afternoon melt water. After scouting up and down the creek, I finally found a route below the trail with a couple of logs to facilitate the crossing with dry feet.

I briefly enjoyed the view of Mt Hood from Cairn Basin, and then continued down.

On the way down, the evening sun illuminated the trail.

A last look at Barrett Spur.

The foothills in evening's light

As I was driving out, the full moon rose over the slopes of Mt. Hood. Incredible!

The hike was about 11 miles, with around 4000' of gain, and an uncountable number of wildflowers. What a fantastic day! This route is a real winner, with just two reservations: the upper and lower crossing of the Ladd. Depending on conditions, those could be dicey. I'll leave the other moraine to true mountaineers.

adamschneider

Re: Barrett Spur Scramble, 8/2/2020

Post by adamschneider » August 4th, 2020, 12:18 am

On this web site, we DO call it Glisan Creek. :)

And the ridge you went up is "Gladd Ridge."

mjirving

Post by mjirving » August 4th, 2020, 5:34 am

Isn’t Gladd Ridge the one to the south of him that he took pics of? He went up the one on the other side on the north which I’m unfamiliar with its name. (Ladd Ridge? Laddcoe Ridge? Haha)

I’ve done the Gladd both ways and crossed to Barrett which is cool. Your Dragon’s Back is also called Co Rock due to being right on the “co” letters of Hood River “Co”unty on the maps...along with “Ho Rock” below on “Ho”od River County on the maps.

Nice hike. It’s gorgeous up there. Another option is going up/down the nose of Barrett Spur but it’s borderline sketchy and there are crevasse cracks at the top of Ladd/base of Barrett.

Thanks for the report.

Mike

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 4th, 2020, 5:50 am

Nice report, nice area up there

I was up there a couple weeks ago but didn't get quite as far

Someday I'm going to figure out those tunnels. I think as the snow melts, it forms a tunnel in the snow, then more melt water carries sediment and fills the tunnel up with it. Yeah, they're totally above ground. And consist of fine sediment that would be carryable by a small stream.

I'm sure there are also similar tubes that are produced by ground animals

pcg

Post by pcg » August 4th, 2020, 6:15 am

Those dirt mounds are pocket gopher eskers. Pocket gophers often backfill their tunnels. When the tunnels are in snow and the backfill material is dirt, then when the snow melts, you find the esker. Voles also do this, but their eskers are narrower, about 1-1/2 inches in diameter.
If you look around you can sometimes find piles of grass within an esker, or at the end of one. These are bedding areas. Sometimes during a long spring melt, a gopher’s bedding area will get soaked and occasionally they succumb to hypothermia and on a rare occasion you will find a carcass.
Nice trip report and photos. That area is certainly one of the funnest on Mt. Hood.
Last edited by pcg on August 4th, 2020, 6:55 am, edited 3 times in total.

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 4th, 2020, 6:17 am

mjirving wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 5:34 am
Isn’t Gladd Ridge the one to the south of him that he took pics of? He went up the one on the other side on the north which I’m unfamiliar with its name. (Ladd Ridge? Laddcoe Ridge? Haha)
Hmm, good question. I thought Gladd was the east-west one that leads right up to Barrett Spur, but name-wise, the NW-SE ridge to the south makes more sense.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » August 4th, 2020, 6:52 am

The pocket gophers dig the tunnel in the snow? That would make sense. The "section of grass" is consistent with being bedding

The tubes are fairly uniform in diameter which would be consistent with mammal tunnels

Sometimes the tubes traverse a slope rather than go downhill which would be consistent with mammal tunnels

There are zillions of those tunnels and they're all over Oregon and Washington. Usually at about timberline.

This needs to be researched more :)

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » August 4th, 2020, 6:55 am

retired jerry wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 6:52 am
You're right about that. When you look online for information about gopher eskers, you don't find much. (And "eskers" isn't even an official name for them, but a lot of people use it and it makes sense... kind of like "Glisan Creek" and "Gladd Ridge"!)

By the way, has anyone ever SEEN one of these gophers??

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » August 4th, 2020, 7:15 am

Nice report, and I LOVE those wildflower shots. Yowza!

The one and only time I visited Barrett Spur it was SO SO SO windy, which I know is very common up there. But I wasn't really able to enjoy it because the wind was so very bad.

pcg

Post by pcg » August 4th, 2020, 7:33 am

retired jerry wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 6:52 am
I'm not sure how much academic research material can be found online, but in the naturalist community this phenomena is well-documented and discussed. It is mentioned in two books I have... Cascade-Olympic Natural History by Mathews and the classic Mammal Tracks & Sign by Elbroch. Both books use the term "esker", but I've also seen them referred to as "castings" and "cores".
adamschneider wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 6:55 am
By the way, has anyone ever SEEN one of these gophers??
I found a dead one in his wet nest in the Wallowas. To actually see one at work you would have to travel in the subnivean zone, that cozy insulated space where the snowpack meets the ground. :lol:
Both pocket gophers and voles are active in the subnivean zone. Gophers don't venture to the surface in the winter, but voles do and you can often find their tracks in the snow, along with shrews who also don't hibernate. Voles also create "channels" or "ruts" in the top of the soil in the subnivean zone. These are basically tunnels that are half in soil and half in dirt. In the spring you can find these narrow channels snaking all over the ground. I've seen them around Mt. Adams, but not around Mt. Hood. Mountain beavers and moles also create eskers, but I've never found them. None of these animals hibernate. There is also some recent evidence that ground squirrels will sometimes make eskers. They hibernate so this would have to happen in the spring.
Last edited by pcg on August 4th, 2020, 7:46 am, edited 2 times in total.