Barrett Spur Scramble, 8/2/2020

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Chip Down

Re: Barrett Spur Scramble, 8/2/2020

Post by Chip Down » August 4th, 2020, 5:25 pm

Nice report on a great part of the mountain! Maybe it's just me, but I find all the features between Cathedral Ridge and Barrett Spur just a bit confusing. It was probably my 4th trip when I finally felt like I had it all figured out, and felt like I had explored all the main points.

I too noticed the great moon that evening. My back was turned to it, so missed seeing it come up, but noticed it when it was still pretty low.

Surprised to read that our Peachy has only been up on BS once, and found it too windy. Story: I think it was the last time I was up there, on a very cold windy november day, feeling quite apprehensive about the predicted wind chill up there. As I ascended, the wind speed dropped, and by the time it hit top it was warm and calm, like what you might expect on a nice september day.

So, wnshall, when can we expect your TR on Gladd Ridge?

huckleberries

Post by huckleberries » August 5th, 2020, 5:34 am

In the photo titled "An oasis just before the top:" it looks like there is a person up in the draw. Did you see other people in the red (off-trail) areas?
Re-entering the Stone Ephemera of Codex Monolithiopia

wnshall

Post by wnshall » August 5th, 2020, 9:41 am

huckleberries wrote:
August 5th, 2020, 5:34 am
In the photo titled "An oasis just before the top:" it looks like there is a person up in the draw. Did you see other people in the red (off-trail) areas?
Just that one person. :D

markesc

Post by markesc » August 6th, 2020, 8:22 pm

Chip Down wrote:
August 4th, 2020, 5:25 pm
Nice report on a great part of the mountain! Maybe it's just me, but I find all the features between Cathedral Ridge and Barrett Spur just a bit confusing. It was probably my 4th trip when I finally felt like I had it all figured out, and felt like I had explored all the main points.

I too noticed the great moon that evening. My back was turned to it, so missed seeing it come up, but noticed it when it was still pretty low.

Surprised to read that our Peachy has only been up on BS once, and found it too windy. Story: I think it was the last time I was up there, on a very cold windy november day, feeling quite apprehensive about the predicted wind chill up there. As I ascended, the wind speed dropped, and by the time it hit top it was warm and calm, like what you might expect on a nice september day.

So, wnshall, when can we expect your TR on Gladd Ridge?
Agreed! It's such a neat area!!! Basically just magical, and gives that feeling like you're actually in the wilderness!

As far as the wind goes, having gone up a few times, it just seems unpredictable. I had one trip I was going to turn back, and as you've mentioned, the wind was actually a bit calmer on the top than compared to just HOWLING at the lower walk up point/wind shelter area. Totally worth the climb if one has the time, lots of interesting/strange rock types, and funny some have a hollow like sound to them even though they're giants!

Thank you for the wonderful and inspiring report (great photos too!!!) Someday I'll make the loop but tend to fly solo and know my limits!!