Mazama to Cairn Basin 2020/08/02

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
rubiks

Mazama to Cairn Basin 2020/08/02

Post by rubiks » August 3rd, 2020, 8:36 pm

I decided to cross the Mazama Trail off of my to-do list on Sunday, seeking a more leisurely outing after last Sunday's dayhike up Mt. Adams. There weren't any recent trip reports here either, so I brought my camera to take some extra pictures for a trip report. From the TT I vetoed McNeil Point (too crowded) and decided to tack on a loop through Eden Park and Cairn Basin. The highlights were the wildflowers, they are absolutely incredible up there.
DSC06038_r1.JPG

There were eight or nine cars at the Mazama Trailhead, but I only saw a single other hiker (two hikers if you include the four-legged variety) up to the junction with the TT. Pretty early on the trail traverses gently up a talus slope, and not long after that opens up to the first grand view of Mt. Hood.
DSC05919.JPG
DSC05925.JPG

The trail continues up through the edge of the Dollar Lake burn area, offering intermittent view of the mountain through bleached snags. The trail was a very hot and dusty in the burn zone, but there were only a handful of down trees across the trail and they were all easy to negotiate. The sections in the unburned forest were shaded and cool.
DSC05928.JPG

After re-entering the woods and climbing a bit more the trail opens up into a couple of meadows. I was too late for the beargrass, but there is a procession of different flowers blooming throughout. Then the trail re-enters the woods to a traverse the western side of the ridge before emerging again in a gully with a talus on one side and a lovely little stream down the middle. Unfortunately some clouds had moved in, shrouding the mountain.
DSC05938.JPG
DSC05948.JPG
DSC05950.JPG

Nonetheless I proceeded to the TT, and rock hopped across the west fork of Ladd Creek. None of the crossing were any trouble, I was able to keep my feet dry all day. I did the loop CW, visiting Eden Park first before stopping for lunch in the Wy'East basin and returning through Cairn Basin. Lots of great wildflowers, and lots of mosquitos too.
DSC05969.JPG
DSC05972.JPG
DSC05986.JPG

Also of note, you could see the smoke from the Fir Mountain fire out toward Hood River for much of the day.
DSC06024.JPG
You know exactly what to do.
There's no need to be afraid.
Keep walking.

huckleberries

Re: Mazama to Cairn Basin 2020/08/02

Post by huckleberries » August 5th, 2020, 5:20 am

Thank you for the report and photos. I was thinking of doing one of those more obscure trails myself to get away from the crowds, but I decided to go on the TT on a midweek day to mitigate the crowds a bit. Your mention of mosquitoes was very helpful as at the last second I threw some insect repellent into my pack before heading out early yesterday and doing Top Spur to Elk Cove and back. Sure enough, there were lots of mosquitoes and even more flies.
Re-entering the Stone Ephemera of Codex Monolithiopia