Silver Star South Ridge – 7-20-20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
eg83

Re: Silver Star South Ridge – 7-20-20

Post by eg83 » July 30th, 2020, 1:55 pm

road 4019 iced up in the winter is a white knuckle ride. would not recommend.

wnshall

Post by wnshall » August 6th, 2020, 3:55 pm

bobcat wrote:
July 22nd, 2020, 8:21 am
Just before the junction with the Grouse Vista Trail, I took note of the Pyramid Rock Trail tunneling down through Sitka alder (I’ve never done that one).
Do you mean the dotted line on this map?
Silver Star Map.png
Silver Star Map
I've bushwacked a few of times down from the Indian Pits or Silver Star 2 to the South Ridge trail you were on (the first time I didn't really realize the trail was a thing). I don't know which was worse, navigating the terraces where the firs were planted -- each row is about 3' higher than the lower one, or the tangled groves of alder.

(BTW, I've always wondered why the replanted THAT particular part of Silver Star and not others?)

On previous hikes, I had noticed the signs of a 4WD path on the east side of the Pyramid Rock ridge, and on one of my adventures tried finding and following it. Since I was coming from the Indian Pits, maybe I cut over too soon, but it was tricky finding where the path/road starts, but I did find it in the end and followed it around the ridge to join up with the trail from Grouse Vista TH. It was interesting but not particularly rewarding. It'd be nice to clean up the trail so it got used more -- would certainly provide a little variety to the Route up to Silver Star and possibly spread people out a bit more.

bobcat

Post by bobcat » August 7th, 2020, 2:58 pm

Yes. It looks as though it has been brushed out through the slide alder fairly recently (at least at the upper end, which is 150 yards from the Silver Star-Grouse Vista Trail junction on the Silver Star Trail).

Jbar290

Post by Jbar290 » January 29th, 2023, 7:16 pm

TwoPaw wrote:
July 25th, 2020, 8:45 am
Exactly my question - what is access road like?
Rough gravel and holes. A portion has no trespassing signs on both sides which seem intimidating but as long as your on the road its ok. Discover pass