Back to Gorton Creek - 070920 The lost keys saga continues.

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Back to Gorton Creek - 070920 The lost keys saga continues.

Post by Don Nelsen » July 10th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Kel and I went back to the Gorton Creek Trail yesterday to once again try to locate my wayward keys.
We got an amazingly early start, hitting the trail at 10 sharp under cloudy skies but pleasant temperatures. This time I set out to also document trees across the trail, their locations and sizes. The plan was to also do some lopping and brushing along the way, especially above Deadwood Camp.

Hopefully there can be a group clearing expedition to resurrect the upper reaches of the Gorton Creek Trail, so long under maintained and under-appreciated.

As we locked up the car, Kelly made me give here the keys – she was trying to tell me something, I suppose. ;)

Here is the result of my documentation effort. The arrows point to locations of trees 4” dia. or more, down across the trail and the numbers are their approximate diameters. I’ve included a couple of smaller ones I left. Most of the rest of the smaller ones I cut or moved. Not shown on the map are the 10 or so trees that aren’t completely across the trail but intrude onto the trail at least in part.

The trail is much easier to locate now but still needs lots more boots on the ground and it takes some care to stay on route, especially across the ridge between the first and second series of switchbacks. The original alignment is lost to a tangle of vine maple in one spot in particular, noted on the map, but it’s a short section and it’s easy to relocate the trail again, should one get off-track.

A few photos from yesterday:

Once above the fire area, the trail crosses some large boulder fields and the trail there is well made and in great shape. It’s the area between the boulder fields that the most brushing needs to be done. I made a small dent in it but it is an overwhelming task for one person. I concentrated on my nemesis: devil’s club, but again, only made a dent in what needs to be done.

And the keys, no luck again but on the way back, Kel suggested we stop at the FS maintenance station at the start of the TH access road to see if they had a lost-and-found. I thought, no way – about as likely as winning the lottery!
I drove in and there was a young man just entering the office and I asked if there was a lost and found. As he went into the office to check I noticed a zip lock baggy clipped to the wall just outside of the door that contained a set of keys! I opened it and behold, my errant keys! Some good soul must have found them on the trail somewhere up there and turned them in. What are the odds?! I guess one really can win the lottery.

DN

12.4 miles, 3,599’ EG.
Hike # 65 for 2020,
Total so far for 2020: 371miles; 91,305’ EG
Last edited by Don Nelsen on July 10th, 2020, 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

retired jerry

Re: Back to Gorton Creek - 070920 The lost keys saga continues.

Post by retired jerry » July 10th, 2020, 1:16 pm

yeah, you better go out and buy a lottery ticket

maybe go out to a crowded bar, immune from covid : )

Bosterson

Post by Bosterson » July 10th, 2020, 3:14 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 1:10 pm
I noticed a zip lock baggy clipped to the wall just outside of the door that contained a set of keys! I opening it and behold, my errant keys! Some good soul must have found them on the trail somewhere up there and turned them in. What are the odds?! I guess one really can win the lottery.
Hey DN, that's great news! Glad the saga had a happy ending. :)
#pnw #bestlife #bitingflies #favoriteyellowcap #neverdispleased

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 10th, 2020, 4:34 pm

Definitely a saga.

And thanks for doing some work on those sketchy sections of the Gorton Creek Trail. It certainly needed it.

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 10th, 2020, 7:10 pm

Early start at 10am :roll:
My Saturday hike will start at 2am, unless I oversleep at the TH.

I lost a phone on a trail once. Knew approximately where, so went back. Fortunately was close to TH. Looked and looked and looked. It was dark, and the phone was in a black nylon pouch, and it was fall so there were leaves. After many attempts I gave up. Somebody found it, and gave it to a ranger, who called my emergency contact. Miracles do happen! Ideally the finder should post a note at the TH for the benefit of somebody returning to find their stuff. Or search this site for lost keys. I like to imagine the finder creating an account here and tormenting you a little before surrendering the keys. :lol: