Mount Mitchell via the Sugarloaf - 07-06-20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Mount Mitchell via the Sugarloaf - 07-06-20

Post by bobcat » July 9th, 2020, 7:55 am

I took the alternative route to Mt. Mitchell, i.e. the replacement for the original route whose access was shut off by a non-cooperative landowner in 2011. This trail, about 7.3 miles round-trip, is a rough refurbishment of an ancient alignment which I cannot find on any historical map. It begins off a spur to Road S-1000 to follow above various feeder streams of Ole Creek. The forest here has not been logged since the 1902 Yacolt Burn, whose telltale snags jut up under the canopy. The lush solitude that the route offers is not going to last much longer, however. There’s a timber sale overlapping the first section of the trail although red “Right-of-Way” tags seem to protect the narrow trail corridor itself.

Above a stream, Sugarloaf Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Dog vomit slime mold (Fuligo septica), Sugarloaf Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Timber Sale sign, Sugarloaf Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Right-of-Way Boundary sign, Sugarloaf Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg

The trail spits you out below the northside columnar cliffs of the Sugarloaf and works its way across a boulder field, offering stellar views to Mt. St. Helens only 10 miles away (I only got these views on the way back as the clouds were dense and hovering at about 4,000 feet). At a saddle and junction with the spur up the Sugarloaf, I kept straight to intersect with the Mitchell Peak Trail and then switchbacked up through the bear-grass meadows to the weathered andesite formations on the summit of Mt. Mitchell.

North face of Sugarloaf Mountain, Sugarloaf Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Mt. Mitchell from below the Sugarloaf, Sugarloaf Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Red columbine (Aquilegia formosa), Sugarloaf Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Subalpine daisy (Erigeron peregrinus), Sugarloaf Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Tiger lily (Lilium columbianum), Sugarloaf Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
View to Huffman Peak, Mt. Mitchell.jpg

On a clear day, you should be able to see four snow-topped Cascade peaks, but only Mt. Adams was peaking out among the clouds on my visit. Views to the east revealed the entire spine of Indian Heaven, while to the south there was a direct vista across the North Siouxon drainage to Huffman and Siouxon peaks. Mt. Defiance was visible in the Gorge as were closer clearcuts on Washington DNR land.

Scalloped onion (Allium crenulatum), Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Rock penstemon (Penstemon rupicola), Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Crags and the Lewis River, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Swift Reservoir and Marble Mountain, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Mt. Adams from Mt. Mitchell.jpg
View to Siouxon Peak and McClellan Mountain, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Peak 3970 from Mt. Mitchell.jpg

On the return, I veered off for an exploration of the Sugarloaf. A couple of vantage points gave more views over the North Siouxon and also a closer sighting of the massive pinnacle on the Sugarloaf’s southwest side (Peak 3688). I rummaged through the bear-grass woods to tag the viewless summit (Peak 3726) and then returned via clifftop meadows on the prominence’s north rim.

Sugarloaf from Mt. Mitchell Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Peak 3683, Sugarloaf, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
East meadow, Sugarloaf, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
North Siouxon Creek from the Sugarloaf, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Mt. Mitchell and Mt. Adams from the Sugarloaf, Mt. Mitchell.jpg

Several large piles of scat of various ages alerted me to the presence of an impressive critter that has an established abode here and hangs out imbibing the views of Mt. St. Helens – either a rather massive bear or a Bigfoot, I’m not sure which. Then I stumbled upon Grizzly Man’s sometime abode, a campsite with a fire circle on the edge of a cliff looking straight towards St. Helens. A couple of buckets and a small firewood shed attested to some kind of formal occupation. But Grizzly Man hadn’t been there for a while; I broke apart some of the older scat searching for human remains but found nothing conclusive, just a few hairs and miscellaneous vegetable matter.

Fresh bear scat, Sugarloaf, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Old bear scat, Sugarloaf, Mt. Mitchell.jpg
Fire shed, Sugarloaf, Mt. Mitchell.jpg

On the return, St. Helens deigned to show herself, somewhat coyly, as I traversed the boulder field before descending the quiet slopes.

Mt. St. Helens from the Sugarloaf Trail, Mt. Mitchell.jpg

Just remember that even though this is not an official trail, you'll still need a Discover Pass to park at the trailhead.

justpeachy

Re: Mount Mitchell via the Sugarloaf - 07-06-20

Post by justpeachy » July 9th, 2020, 1:06 pm

Thanks for the report! I really wanted to do this route in June, but with the crappy weekend weather we were stuck with all month it didn't happen. I miss Mt. Mitchell. The views up there are superb.

BTW, I noticed in Google Earth that there is some new road-building happening east of Mt. Mitchell. It looks like they extended the road that the old trailhead was on and now the beginning part of the old trail is gone, replaced by a switchbacking road. They also extended a road from the south. The most recent historical imagery in Google Earth is from 2018, but no doubt a more recent image would show a new clearcut there. :cry:

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 9th, 2020, 3:49 pm

I notice your onion file is called "Allium crenulatum"... but I think that might be Allium amplectens. (A. crenulatum doesn't have much of a stem.)

bobcat

Post by bobcat » July 10th, 2020, 4:41 pm

justpeachy wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 1:06 pm
I noticed in Google Earth that there is some new road-building happening east of Mt. Mitchell.
Yep, there are a couple of new clearcuts below and the peak opposite just to the SE (see in one of my photos) just got a new clearcut down its slopes. If you take the long version of the Mitchell Peak Trail (via North Siouxon) you have to cross a couple of these.
adamschneider wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 3:49 pm
I notice your onion file is called "Allium crenulatum"... but I think that might be Allium amplectens.
They were actually low to the ground, in the rocks at the top of Mt. Mitchell, with pretty short stems somewhat flattened - nothing like amplectens! (The ones in the photo are actually only about 3 inches tall.)

adamschneider

Post by adamschneider » July 10th, 2020, 6:58 pm

bobcat wrote:
July 10th, 2020, 4:41 pm
adamschneider wrote:
July 9th, 2020, 3:49 pm
I notice your onion file is called "Allium crenulatum"... but I think that might be Allium amplectens.
They were actually low to the ground, in the rocks at the top of Mt. Mitchell, with pretty short stems somewhat flattened - nothing like amplectens! (The ones in the photo are actually only about 3 inches tall.)
I stand corrected. I thought the ones in your photo looked tall with lanky stems.