Green Point Mt. loop from Rainy Lake

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Don Nelsen

Green Point Mt. loop from Rainy Lake

Post by Don Nelsen » July 8th, 2020, 6:15 pm

The drive up to Rainy Lake isn’t too bad – A little over 11 miles from the Dee Hwy on a good gravel road. My late start meant I had no one in front of me so no dust to eat.

I wanted to hike some of the route I’d hiked on the 3rd to see if I could find my errant keys, lost on that previous hike. The day was perfect for a hike, temperature about 55 to 60 and full sun with just enough wind to keep any mosquitoes at bay though we use Deet ahead of time and only saw a few.

The trail is in great shape with a few small trees down and only one of any size. I took a set of clippers along and did some trimming and made a dent in it, but lots more to do.

Here’s a map: 6.8 miles, 1,236’ EG so a nice easy day of it:

A few photos:

Adams, Defiance and Rainy Lake from Green Point's summit:

What a great spot for lunch:

We went off-trail a couple hundred feet or so to get this shot of North Lake:

Of the 35 trees across the trail on this route, this is the only one of any size:

This is the connector trail west from Green point Ridge trail - could use some brushing out:

Almost back to Rainy Lake:

Rainy Lake:

No luck on the keys so I’ll go back to the Gorton Creek trail tomorrow with a saw and loppers and see if I can find them and do some trail work while I’m at it. I think I'll start earlier this time! :)

DN
"Everything works in the planning stage" - Kelly

"If you don't do it this year, you will be one year older when you do" - Warren Miller

Chip Down

Re: Green Point Mt. loop from Rainy Lake

Post by Chip Down » July 8th, 2020, 9:28 pm

Don Nelsen wrote:
July 8th, 2020, 6:15 pm
My late start...
You don't say! :D

story time: My pack got away from me on Saddle Mountain, with the lid open. I made sure I still had the critical items, and moved on. Next day I noticed something missing, and remembered where my pack had tipped. Went back and found the missing item downslope in the brush, as well as several items I didn't even realize I was missing! That's an unusual happy ending. Usually if you lose something on a hike, you'll never see it again. Oh, that reminds me, I need to go looking for a lost pole, which went missing on a snowy early-season hike when trail was still under snow. That one could be tricky.

By the way, I've had too many close calls with keys. I now anchor them where there's no way they can be lost. Wallet too.

retired jerry

Post by retired jerry » July 9th, 2020, 5:22 am

once I camped at a spot I had camped a couple years earlier and found a tent stake I had lost :)

drm

Post by drm » July 9th, 2020, 7:03 am

I once found something I had lost a year earlier - because the area burned and the brush was all gone.

leiavoia

Post by leiavoia » July 20th, 2020, 7:03 pm

On a trip through the Ape Caves a child dropped a flashlight down one of the many person-sized holes in the floor. The parent lowered the child 6ft down the hole by his ankle. The child came back up with the dropped flashlight as well as a bonus flashlight that he had not dropped ;- )