Old Skyline Trail (Lake Branch segment) – 07-02-20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
bobcat

Old Skyline Trail (Lake Branch segment) – 07-02-20

Post by bobcat » July 7th, 2020, 12:05 pm

The route of the Oregon Skyline Trail, precursor to the PCT, was formalized in the 1920s – a long distance hiking/horse trail that ran from Mt. Hood south to Crater Lake. In the 1930s segments were added to connect to the Columbia River and the California border. The section north of Mt. Hood took the Jones Creek Trail (of which the McGee Creek Trail is a remnant) from the Bald Mountain ridge down to cross the West Fork Hood River and skirt Lost Lake (the idea being to connect as many interesting natural features as possible). From Lost Lake, the route followed what is now the Lake Branch Trail to cut west and cross the Lake Branch and then traverse up to Waucoma Ridge north of Buck Peak. Some current maps show an existing section of the Old Skyline Trail between Lost Lake and FR 13, and that’s what I wanted to explore.

This was the day before the holiday weekend began, and the Lost Lake Resort was announcing that all camp spaces were full. However, I didn’t see a single soul out on these trails, which seemingly lead to nowhere. I took the Lake Branch Trail from near the resort’s general store. It had rained that morning, so I quickly donned rain gear from head to toe before I swished through damp huckleberry bushes overhanging the trail. The Lake Branch Trail veers away from the Lake Branch and reaches FR 13 to continue across the road as the Old Skyline Trail.

Trail sign, Lake Branch Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
Above the Lake Branch Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
Rhododendron bloom, Lake Branch Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
Bunchberry, FR 13, Lost Lake.jpg

I wanted to walk back from the end of the segment, so I ambled along FR 13, paved but narrow, until just before Buck Point Creek, where I saw a scratch of trail heading into a screen of willows. Sure enough, a few yards in, a sign proclaimed “End of Skyline Trail.” (The section that goes up to Waucoma Ridge from here was abandoned several decades ago.) The trail is in decent shape with only a couple of logs across it. It passes below a massive boulder field to reach the Lake Branch, where I crossed on a log about six feet above the river.

View to Raker Point from FR 13, Lost Lake.jpg
End of Old Skyline Trail, FR 13, Lost Lake.jpg
End of Skyline Trail signage, Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
Path across talus, Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
Log steps, Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
Lake Branch on the Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
The log crossing, Lake Branch, Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg

From here, the trail burrowed its way through huckleberries to cross a talus slope below Raker Point. Then I made a right turn on an old road bed before the trail, getting somewhat indistinct in places, directed me back to FR 13 and the Lake Branch Trail.

Raker Point from the Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
Section of the Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
Mossy turnpike, Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg

For good measure, I decided to hike what is now called the Old Skyline Trail that runs above the east shore of Lost Lake. This section is a much later incarnation that was designed to carry horses away from the lake and its campgrounds. The trail ends at the Jones Creek Road near Lost Lake's horse camp and not far from the Huckleberry Mountain Trail, which has become the connector from Lost Lake to the PCT.

North trailhead, Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
Rhododendrons, Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg
Lost Lake Butte Trail junction, Old Skyline Trail, Lost Lake.jpg

The enterprise took longer than expected because I was navigating via Caltopo’s version of the trails. This put me off for a while – here’s a correction:

Old Skyline Trail Lake Branch.png

RobFromRedland

Re: Old Skyline Trail (Lake Branch segment) – 07-02-20

Post by RobFromRedland » July 7th, 2020, 4:18 pm

What an awesome abandoned trail adventure! It looks like these segments are in pretty good shape.

Thanks for posting your adventure!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: WOW! What a ride! - Hunter S. Thompson

Chip Down

Post by Chip Down » July 8th, 2020, 3:23 pm

Lost trails are fun! Well done.

Sugar Pine

Post by Sugar Pine » October 21st, 2020, 7:47 pm

I hiked this section of the Old Skyline in October (and should have read this post first because I looked for the Lake Branch Trail shown on Nat Geo and could not find it). I hiked along the Old Skyline from Lost Lake Butte, crossed Lost Lake Road, and walked along closed FR-13 until FR-13 crossed the Old Skyline because I missed seeing the continuation of the Old Skyline Trail across Lost Lake Road (and this section of trail wasn't on my maps). I noticed this path paralleling FR-13 on my way back. The Old Skyline was in great condition and seemed well used from the southern end of the lake to where it crosses FR-13 (west of the Lake Branch junction). But, I found it very overgrown after that and very, very wet with overhanging brush and small streams. It had rained the previous day.
Thanks for the field guide description!
Attachments
Old Skyline.PNG

bobcat

Post by bobcat » October 22nd, 2020, 8:13 am

Thanks for the beta on the trail that parallels FR 13. I saw the turnoff but didn't follow it.

One thing I learned from my outing was that Caltopo can't be trusted on everything and that their tracks are not necessarily GPS tracks - in some cases just wild guesses. I spent some time trying to conform with their layout until I just followed my gut (and the reality on the ground). Same with the apocryphal dotted line tracks on your map.