Black Butte Fire Lookout Via Lower TH 7/6/20

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
Solofemalehiker35

Black Butte Fire Lookout Via Lower TH 7/6/20

Post by Solofemalehiker35 » July 7th, 2020, 4:59 am

Hiked to Black Butte summit via the lower trailhead on Monday 7/6/2020, starting at 1am to catch the sunrise. No cars in the lot when we arrived and had the summit and trails to ourselves till 7:37am when we saw the first 3 people as we were making our way down from the summit. Saw 12 people and a leashed dog from just below the summit to the upper lot from 7:37am to 8:20am. Saw no one on the lower trail on our way down.
Directions via alltrails using Google maps stops a tad short of the parking area to the right, drive up a bit till you see the pull off (it's almost right off the paved road) on a gravel road (good for all cars). 4 parking spots available at this trail head. No bathrooms and not handicap accessible, nor recommended. This portion would be good for small children, though I'd keep an eye on them if planning on summiting it gets steep and rocky the last mile to the summit. 2 other cars in the lot when we left and there are pull outs on Southwest Sherman road where I saw a couple cars as well when I was leaving at 9:49am.
Trails are in great condition, any fallen logs have been sawed through. This portion of the trail is the most flat you'll be on the entire hike.). All the trails are well marked.
Beautiful flowers blooming right now, interesting plants as well and gorgeous ginormous trees. The Forrest is so green and lush in the daylight and the ground insects are so alive at night. We didn't see any big game. Just birds and squirrel scaling the outhouse door up top (it's locked btw) 🤣 (sadly I didn't get a photo.)
From the lower to upper lots is a gradual up hill, after the upper lot for a mile it gets a little more intense and the last mile is sand/rock mix and the most steep. You can see the lookout long before you reach it.
The upper lot was still empty when we passed by it maybe around 4am. This lot is huge, maybe one of the biggest I've seen. Looks like it could hold over 25 cars. Must have a northwest Forrest pass, America the beautiful pass or pay $5 at the fee box located next to the trail. There are two vaulted toilets here (I used one on the way down and they have some pretty intense pine scented air fresheners inside that had my clothes and hair stinking for hours later). There is also one picnic table located next to the trail.
Between the upper lot and summit along the trail are information kiosks informing you what plant stands beyond them.
The sunrise up top was gorgeous!! (There is NO CAMPING allowed up here, this is still an active fire lookout) In my opinion one of the best ways to see a fire lookout. We made it to the top with 20 minutes to spare before the sun came above the horizon and the fire to the south of Bend, OR just deepened the color of the sky. We saw all the major peaks with the exception of Mt. Adams and Middle Sister's. The moon glow and sun glow on everything was awe inspiring for my hiking companion (it was his first time seeing a sunrise up high with all the views).
Once you reach the summit at the top by the trail marker to the right is an old communications building that is shuttered with information kiosks around it (you can get great views of Three Fingered Jack, Jefferson and Mt hood here). Past that used to be a private residence (now you can only see the foundation of a building and an old outhouse that is still standing.).
To the left of the summit is the fire lookout, new communications building and an outhouse. Unfortunately you cannot go to the top of the lookout at this time as the stairs were damaged in a severe ice storm.
To the southwest of the fire lookout is the new private residence yurt (be respectful someone may be inside there, we heard an alarm or something going off in there).
13.04 miles w/ 3368ft elevation gain via the lower Black Butte trailhead. Probably be around 12 miles round trip with no detours.
Bring plenty of water!
Remember pack it in, pack it out and leave the trails better than you found them.
IMG_20200706_053308.jpg
Black Butte fire Lookout
IMG_20200706_053857.jpg
Black Butte fire lookout
IMG_20200706_052349.jpg
Sunrise
IMG_20200706_071036.jpg
Old communications building
IMG_20200706_070804.jpg
Used to be a private residence
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200706051856786_COVER.jpg
Stairs closed from severe ice damage.
IMG_20200706_065726.jpg
Private residence yurt
00000IMG_00000_BURST20200706051946178_COVER.jpg
Newer communication building
IMG_20200706_053242.jpg
As close as I'm going to get to the top.
IMG_20200706_051643.jpg
Black Butte fire lookout
IMG_20200706_093927.jpg
Lower TH
IMG_20200706_085534.jpg
Big, beautiful tree on lower trail

justpeachy

Re: Black Butte Fire Lookout Via Lower TH 7/6/20

Post by justpeachy » July 7th, 2020, 6:32 am

Beautiful!

The gray building you labeled as "old communications building" is actually the original fire lookout, which dates back to around 1923. The Friends of the Metolius have been working with the Forest Service to fix it up: https://centraloregondaily.com/voluntee ... e-lookout/

The Forest Service burned down the old log cabin residence that was up there in 2016: https://www.facebook.com/deschutesnatio ... =3&theater