Douglas Trailhead ORV encounter

This forum is used to share your experiences out on the trails.
AaronPDX

Re: Douglas Trailhead ORV encounter

Post by AaronPDX » July 6th, 2020, 10:14 pm

adamschneider wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 6:42 pm
AaronPDX wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 8:42 am
What's the easiest way to find land boundaries online, i.e. to find out exactly what is under BLM jurisdiction?
CalTopo: https://caltopo.com/map.html#ll=45.3345 ... =0.2&a=sma
CalTopo looks pretty amazing! Thanks for sharing.

AaronPDX

Post by AaronPDX » July 6th, 2020, 10:18 pm

justpeachy wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 11:49 am

I have a feeling that the problem with that specific spot is that it is in the Zigzag Ranger District and I don't think they ever make it out there to check on things. The rest of that district is totally separate from this area, as far as roads go. After visiting McIntyre Ridge from a different trailhead last year, I asked about the problem of OHVs driving into the designated wilderness and they just said they were aware of the issue. With so many other forms of entertainment off the table right now due to the pandemic, I think this kind of thing is only going to get worse, not just here, but all over our public lands.
Is it worth reporting violations to the rangers? With photographic/video evidence?

justpeachy

Post by justpeachy » July 7th, 2020, 6:26 am

AaronPDX wrote:
July 6th, 2020, 10:18 pm
Is it worth reporting violations to the rangers? With photographic/video evidence?
You could try. I guarantee you they aren't going to do anything about it, but my theory is that if enough hikers complain about this kind of thing, if the Forest Service builds up enough documentation of abuse, maybe someday something will be done about it.

walrus

Post by walrus » July 8th, 2020, 11:44 am

A couple of years ago, when I reported vehicles camped in the middle of the trail at the lower McIntyre viewpoint, I received a follow-up email asking for a photograph. But nothing has changed from what I can tell by the signs of ORVs up in the bench meadow mid-June this year. They were specifically looking for a license plate, though, which was not present in my picture as I didn't to start something with the campers by crashing around to get a better shot.

xrp

Post by xrp » July 8th, 2020, 5:31 pm

AaronPDX wrote:
July 4th, 2020, 9:34 pm
This is illegal, right? Since the road's decommissioned to prevent such activity? We had a brief 'dialogue' and one said since it's BLM land they're free to do what they want. I said I strongly doubt that's the case, but was ignorant of the precise nature of the law.
Who really cares anymore?

I wanted to go for a nice walk through downtown Portland a few weeks ago. I was prevented by Bernie/AOC/Biden/Kshama supporters rioting and attacking people. This is illegal, right?

My point is: You’re on your own now. Good luck!

aiwetir

Post by aiwetir » July 8th, 2020, 10:32 pm

If enough people complain, they’ll close a gate a few miles away and we’ll be walking the road to hike there and the off road vehicles will blaze a new path to ride up there.
- Michael